Help practicing/picking out some books.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by seetherhell, Jun 29, 2012.

1. seetherhell

seetherhell New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Hi, I have some questions that I need to know because I plan on getting a scholarship for music, and at my current level of playing I am not sure if I will be able to. Well, first off let me tell you some things about myself, my names josh and I'm currently a sophmore in High school, my band isn't a bad band, we hold one of the biggest competitions in our state and have received multiple superiors in marching and in festival. I am currently first chair trumpet in our band, and have been to all state every year of my high school life. I don't practice much, just some practicing of the solo's music I have to play, to make sure I can play them to the fullest of my ability, but like I said I want to pursue music for a career, and I just don't practice enough, I need some suggestions for the following categories in books

1-Classical Trumpet pieces(a full book, I want this due to myself loving classical music)
    2-Etudes, hard sight reading.
    3-A practice book, I currently have "The Authentic Edition, Arban's complete conservatory method for trumpet book, it's like 300 pages long, but I was wondering if there was a better one that could help more.

I am willing to put in the practice I just want to ensure I have the best material I can get my hands on.
    Thanks!!:-)

On a side note, could someone link me to instructional video on how to thoroughly clean my trumpet.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Saying you want to practice, and actually practicing are two very different things my friend.

First and foremost, you need a daily regime, some warm ups you do everyday to keep the chops up.

With literature, you can't go wrong with looking at the classics are even grazing your states solo and ensemble list

Arban should cover most aspects. I like the Brass Gym, many here use Clarke studies and Vizzutti method book. Stamps and Chichowitz are also very good. There isn't much BAD practice books, all have SOMETHING to offer, the issue being taking what you need and want from them. The best advice that you can get from any of us through the internet is get a teacher. Only a teacher that is physically there can truly help you, find your weaknesses and strengths, and decipher what you need. Take lessons and from there you can find the answers you seek.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    My take: your post reveals that
    1- You have all the material you need for now
    2- It's something else than good material that's lacking

More material is probably not necessary. There are 14 characteristic studies and numerous Airs Varies following them in the Arban book. Considering the edition you have, you could even have the piano accompaniments for said pieces (Fantasie Brillante, Beautiful Snow, etc)

You know what to do.

4. seetherhell

seetherhell New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    I think I do have all the material, but I think I do need some help with how I should use the book to practice, I dont know what parts to play when , liek if I should play a different page each day or what, and I'm looking a for a private instructor now, but until then, I don't know how to correctly practice with the book

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Getting a regulat teacher to work with you through Arban's is the best idea, but if you can't do that then I HIGHLY recommend the Arban"s Manual by Eric Bolvin:

::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Publications ::: ARBAN MANUAL

It's a progressive lesson book that walks you through Arban in a logical way.

6. seetherhell

seetherhell New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    does this work with eevery arban book because I've seen multiple arban's books on the net

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    This is the one I have, and Bolvin's manual works with it:

[​IMG]

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Exactly what I was thinking before I was even finished reading the first post.

+1 on Eric Bolvin's book.

Regarding materials, although the Arban book is a wealth of material, I don't think it's all one needs. It could be if that's all one has, but there are other more fluid approaches that could supplement it, no?

I just got the Chickowitz "Long Tones" book and I think it's a little gem. You might look into it. Studio 259 Productions | Music Publisher

9. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Everyone has given you wonderful advice, but there are two things you must do at this point in learning the trumpet. They are: (1) start practicing regularly and daily (2) get a good private trumpet teacher.

10. seetherhell

seetherhell New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    Thanks everyone for their great advice, I'm currently ordering the guide and the long tones book. Looking into getting a tutor