Help!! Professional level horn and range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jrm6012, Mar 19, 2011.

1. jrm6012

jrm6012 New Friend

Nov 3, 2010
    Ok so I have been playing for 15 years and then took a few years off of playing very regularly. I have recently started back playing in my church orchestra and recently stepped up to a King Legend professional level horn. My issue is I have never played a professional level horn and now that I have a new horn with a slightly larger bore I dont have the range I had on my beginner/intermidiate level horn. I know that practice fixes everything however, i can pick my old horn up and have no problem getting high. It is kinda like the new horn is so free blowing that there is no back pressure to help me hit the higher register. I guess my question is other than lots of practice is there anything else I can do? I was thinking about maybe a new mouthpiece to add some back pressure. Any thoughts, ideas, mouthpiece recommendations?

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    How "recently" have you resumed playing? Oh, hope you and the church are enjoying it!

3. jrm6012

jrm6012 New Friend

Nov 3, 2010
    I have been playing again for a few months so I know I havent built myself back up yet. I just want to start playing the new horn and wanted to see what I could do.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I think you have answered your own question "practice".

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ditto. If the tune calls for range beyond what you can do in practice with the new horn, use the old for the worship service until you build yourself up, OR play it down an octave with the new one.

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    why did you buy a pro horn that you diddnt like.....

and why go to a large bore if your back to basics again.....

my advice would be practice, do page 1 of the aurban at 60bpm, set your metronome and do that every day lots and lots of long notes with a nice big fat full sound, really fill your trumpet!

do that along with some good lip slurs, the collin flex book is very very good and use that for range building,

then start working through the 1st section of the aurban and the scale section.

If you like your MP why change it? yes a tighter back bore might make it a bit easier but I think for the time being stick with the one youve got

oh and get a good teacher

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What does "pro" really mean when describing a trumpet?

My experience IS that student horns are easier to play UNTIL your playing is well along and the brain/chop/ears are working reasonably well in sync.

Free-blowing can mean that your chops are simply not working efficiently and you need a lot of air for relatively little output. That can in fact be a characteristic of the trumpet that brings out the worst in you.

Pro does not automatically mean better sound, projection, intonation or articulation unless your face has earned it. Some never get it.