HELP recommendations on Used trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jztrmpt01, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jztrmpt01

jztrmpt01 Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    Hey everyone,

I need some help as I have been out of the music game for 5 years. I have started playing again and have found my old Back TR200 very restrictive to airflow. Its probably because I used to play 4-5 hours a day and never really noticed it.

Anyhow, I am looking for recommendations on freeblowing hors that are better for jazz than classical. I mostly prefer to play in the staff however even after not playing for 5 years I picked up my old Back and after 25 minute warmup easily hit high C's and D's like old times. I never was much of a high not guy but could play them when needed.

If anyone has recommendations, I would greatly apprecite it. I am in Canton, Oh for anyone that has some used horns if you're close.

John P
    jztrmpt01

2. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    A professional-level Conn 80A cornet, made from the 1920's through the 1960's,
    is a cornet that looks like a trumpet, but it is a cornet that uses a cornet mouthpiece.

1940's original version...
    The Conn Loyalist

1950's revised version...

The Conn Loyalist

It has a huge .485 bore, but it doesn't feel that big.

With a shallow mouthpiece it sounds like a powerful trumpet.

With a very deep "V" mouthpiece it has a beautiful cornet sound.

And because Conn made so many of them, they sell for very low prices on eBay.

They are very popular instruments for use in jazz, because they are made high quality and because they have a rich tone that can be a chameleon depending upon mouthpiece selection.

3. jztrmpt01

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    I definatly dont want a bright tone as I prefer smooth jazz to screamer jazz if that makes sense to many folks. I like darker richer sounds sounds like a flugel which i am repairing a junky Selman #815 Flugel that I grabbed on ebay for $35 just to goof off on. I had to order valves 1 & 2 at $20 each but still a flugel for under $100 to goof on aint bad.

4. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    If you get a deep mouthpiece like a Wick 4 mouthpiece, then that on a Conn 80A is famous for giving a near-flugel tone.
    But with a shallow cornet mouthpiece the Conn 80A can sound like Maynard Ferguson on trumpet.

A Wick 4 mouthpiece is about the same diameter as a Bach 7C but it is about twice as deep as a Bach 7C so many people have trouble playing above the staff with the Wick 4.
    Many people prefer the Wick 4B which is shallower than a Wick 4 but it is a little bit deeper than a Bach 7 (no letter) mouthpiece, with a nice tone and easier upper register.
    But if you don't need to play above the staff, then the very deep Wick 4 has a beautiful tone that is to die for...

I use the Wick 3 series which is the same diameter as a Bach 1.25C.
    I got both the deep Wick 3 and the semi-deep Wick 3B so that I can choose according to the tone and range I want for any particular song.

The best thing is that new Wick mouthpieces are very cheap so that you can afford to get 2 so that you have both cup depths...

Denis Wick

And used Wick mouthpieces are even cheaper...

Wick

And you can get corresponding trumpet mouthpieces that have the identical diameters and rims, but the trumpet cups are a lot shallower than the cornet versions...

New
    Denis Wick

Used
    Wick

5. jztrmpt01

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    Any other ideas on suggestions?

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I like to troll craigslist. If you can be patient,some really good stuff pops up on occasion. Not really sure what you mean by freeblowing. If the horn was okay before and it seems stuffy now, it could be a mechanical issue such as too much pressure, improper breathing, etc. . Before going on a trumpet safari, I would consult a professional teacher.
    Moshe is right about the mouthpiece changing the sound. I have 2 Conn 80As and if I want dark,mellow, I use a Giardinelli 3B. If I want to hang with the trumpets, insert a Giardinelli 5S. Mouthpiece can also make it feel open or tight. Mouthpieces are generally less then trumpets, but there is danger there also ( to your bank account ;-)). There is also a poster that sells the "ringmute" for miles of cool playing. I haven't taken that plunge yet though. He would probably sell more if he had before and after demos on his website, but alas... . Regards.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Have you cleaned out your horn? Are the valves misaligned? Both of these will cause a good horn to play stuffy. I would check these out before buying another horn. OH and clean out your mouthpiece.

8. jztrmpt01

Nov 19, 2009
    Minerva, OH
    I have had it cleaned and the valves aligned. It just feels stuffy. Ive also cleaned the mouthpeice. I know my chops arent what they once were but still.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It is entirely possible you are coming down with a case of n+1! This is a very contagious disease among trumpet players. It is known to have completely drained bank accounts and caused many a trumpeter to spend a night (or two) on the couch. Main symptom is your current horn, well, sucks! Second symptom is, gotta buy a new horn. The only known cure is... , well there is none that I know of. I am up to 11. I am not alone when it comes to this disease. There are some on this site that have over 100 horns!!! There are other posters that would urge you to practice more and get a teacher. I have tried the former but not the latter (teachers cost money and thats money that could be spent on another horn!). I have found practice does help. It is hard to play and search via ebay, google, craigslist while blowing on the horn ( I do that when I am resting between exercises). But the urge is still there however.Giving my wife all my cash and credit cards has also slowed the spread of this pernicious affliction. I can offer an inexpensive solution, maybe. There is something called a ringmute on ebay and it's only 10.95 and is guaranteed to make you horn darker sounding for miles of coolness. I have never used one (again, it costs money and I have my eye on a Vocabell) so you'll have to take a chance. If it stops the spread of n+1 in your life, then it was money well spent. Regards.

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    There's fixed it for you. ROFL Maybe there's some vintage Dubble Bubble in there.