Help! Someone must know this!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joestahl, Sep 1, 2009.

1. joestahl

joestahl New Friend

Sep 1, 2009
    Keyport, NJ
    I've searched high and low and can't find what I'm looking for. I'm a lifelong trumpeter, who last year started playing the bagpipes. There are times that I will be playing taps at the end of a parade (on Memorial Day, for instance). I need to find a way to carry my trumpet, or a bugle, while I'm marching playing the bagpipes. A cord over the shoulder would interfere with my playing of the pipes, and I'd like to stay away from a backpack. I think my only option is a holster or some kind of clip I can wear on my belt (a 3" belt, I believe), that would be at my right side. I can't find anything anywhere specifically made for this purpose. Has anyone ever seen or heard of such a thing, or know of something that would work for this purpose? I may end up having to invent something myself, but if something already exists, I don't want to go through all the trouble.
    Hopefully someone will be able to help me! Thanks!

2. markquinn

markquinn New Friend

Jun 9, 2009
    My I suggest calling my girlfriend. She is a professional seamstress and enjoys these kinds of challenges. She designed and constructed a photographic vest to my specs for me when I could not find what I wanted.

She knows her stuff. You can reach her directly at 216-897-1256. I discussed your post with her before sharing this with you. Good Luck

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If you put it on your belt. it will bounce off your leg as you walk. I suggest a soft gig bag with a sholder strap so the the trumpet is held on the opposite side from the bag of the bagpipes. Buy the way, people think I'm crazy but I love the bagpipes. The Grier family is a family in the MacGregor clad.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The 5th Royal Australian Regiment Pipe Band carry their bugles on a braided cord diagonally across the shoulder/chest with the bugle hooked in behind the right elbow, a large tassle helps to position the instrument by keeping some weight down low, doesn't interfere with the chanter or the bag and drones. I will however check with my brother who is a member of the NSW Police Pipe Band.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Joestahl - go to your local archery shop. There is a bow hanger that is designed to hold your bow on your hip. It is shaped like a J and hangs from your belt and is covered in a soft cloth. Your horn will hang from the back of the bell pipe at the curve. This works very well and your horn will not fall off of the hanger. I use it now and then on stage when I have to make quick changes with multiple horns.

hoghorn

6. joestahl

joestahl New Friend

Sep 1, 2009
    Keyport, NJ
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about all the issues mentioned, the horn hitting my leg, etc. I'm not sure if the braided cord would work, we swing our right arms when we are marching and not playing, so hanging below my right elbow would be an issue. I also thought about a backpack or gig bag, and thought it might be too cumbersome over my shoulder. I like the idea of the bow hanger, I was in Home Depot looking to see if I could come up with anything, and they had a hook to hang tools on a toolbelt that I thought was an ok solution, but it was metal. But, as you say, the bow hanger is padded. I would have to try it to see if the horn would hit my leg as I marched.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The archery shop is a good start. The quiver is normally used to hold arrows, there must be one suitable for a whole trumpet.