Help:suggest horns in price range

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Carolinacrown2014, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Carolinacrown2014

Carolinacrown2014 New Friend

Nov 15, 2016
    Ok so ive searched this forum and many others and cant really get a answer im looking for / suggestions

Sorry if in wrong area , will delete if need be

Anyways im a self taught trumpet player , 32 years old been playing for 15 years and havent had the money nor the crazy amount of money for a top of the line pro trumpet. Due to having a child recently and money is tight but able to put some money to the side here and there

My question is there any pro b flat trumpets that range from say $800 to $1000 ( us ) that you could possibly recommend please ?
    Preferably new horns... really anal about my equipment and not really into used gear

Here's a little about my playing style

I play in 2 community concert bands that play everything from classical , marches up to pop and jazz

I also play in a local jazz band and more or less a maynard tribute type band

Currently im on a jean baptise horn ( student horn ) and play on 2 different mouthpieces depending on the tunes

A bach 3c and yamaha bobby shew lead

My range consists of a double pedal c up to a double c

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Frank

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Frank - Carolinacrown2014,
    Welcome to TM.

I think you may be a better player than me, and I never ignore used gear, so most of mine is previously owned.

The only 2 horns I can suggest in your price range,
    1. Yamaha YTR4335
    YTR-4335G - Bb Trumpets - Trumpets - Brass/Woodwinds - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha United States

I have recently played a new one of these, and it really impressed me. Great Value for money.
    To me it outplayed the YTR5335...

Another, but not sure about price in USA - maybe just outside your range new.
    2. Getzen Capri
    Getzen : Trumpet : Capri Series

3. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    There's nothing wrong with used horns. A nice Bach strad can be found used in your price range and will be a much better horn than anything you could buy new for the same money.

4. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    Peter made excellent recommendations for pro trumpets. Does the trumpet have to be american made? Look at Austin Custom Brass there are several Taiwanese made trumpets in your price range. Bb Trumpets - Page 1 - Austin Custom Brass Web Store

Contact Trent and tell him your requirements for a trumpet. Many times he has videos on particular trumpets.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  5. Carolinacrown2014

Nov 15, 2016

Oh I know , but ive heard horror stories about used horns . Especially the valves . Because not every player plays the same meaning I play with my finger tips not with my actual fingers covering the tops and ive heard the valves end up being use to that type of playing that if I went to play that trumpet the valves would be slow and sticky ish ...have you seen used horns that are mint condition?

6. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Yes, many people play horns for a couple years in high school etc. and then ever play them again. My strad is 38 years old, looks like crap, and the valves are as good as the day they were new. You just need to play and look at it first. Look around on craigslist, or local music stores.

7. Carolinacrown2014

Nov 15, 2016
    Thank you I will contact him tomorrow.

8. Kesh

Kesh New Friend

Oct 6, 2015
    I've never played them, but there was a lot of buzz a while back for Carol Brass horns, supposedly pro horns for half the price. They might be the thing for your price range.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Lots of great instruments around.. I would first be looking for a used Bach Strad myself... can't go wrong with Trent... and try as many horns as you can. I do agree that you can buy much more horn used than new.

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI