Help this Dad with no Musical skills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Steelheadman1, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Steelheadman1

Steelheadman1 New Friend

Dec 5, 2014
    I need help! I have ZERO musical abilities but both my children are absolutely in love with playing music! My 15yr old son plays Euphonium and Trombone, my 14 year old daughter plays Sax and Bassoon! They are both asking for a trumpet for Christmas. I have found one on Craigslist, it looks nice but I have noooo idea!!
    Its a 1941 Conn 12B with Corprion bell, it looks very clean and has 2 mouthpieces, 2 mutes?, and 2 cases for it. The horn itself looks almost flawless with very few blemishes in the lacquer. Is this a good deal @ $400 [​IMG]

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    That's about what I would expect to pay. The deal is good enough, not fabulous. I'd say to go for it.

The 12-B is a decent horn. I bought one and restored it; the only reason I didn't keep it is because the intonation was different enough from what I normally play that it would have been too much work to adapt to it for occasional use. As a primary horn, it'll work out well.

Tom

3. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    I agree. Looks like a good deal. Have it cleaned and corks and felts replaced if needed.

Conn Director 17 A cornet 1963
    Bach TR 300 cornet late 1970s
    Bundy cornet late 1970s
    Denis Wick 2 BW cornet mp
    Denis Wick 3 B cornet mp
    Bach 7 C cornet mp

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Welcome to Trumpet Master

It may well be fantastic. Then again it could be a nightmare. There have been a lot of notes played since 1941.

Get somebody skilled in trumpet playing to play it. Or at least have it leak tested to ensure you do not have a major rebuild project on your hands. Remember, EVERY used instrument is somebody's reject. Try to determine why it is rejected.

Cosmetic appearance is the last thing to consider in a musical instrument. First you need to make sure it plays well.

edfitzvb likes this.
  5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's a decent price IMO. The case is ratty looking but it looks like it comes with another?

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM! There are a lot of fine trumpets available for around $400 that have 1st and 3rd slide tuning aids, including used Getzens built since the early 1990s with lifetime warranties on valves. I am not sure why you would want to provide your beginner children with a 73 year old trumpet, along with all of the risks. Do you know if it will even accept modern mouthpieces due to simply having an obsolete or excessively worn mouthpiece receiver? What do the children want in a trumpet? This can be important for them in sustaining their interest. Can you find someone you trust that is knowledgeable about trumpets to help you shop?

Jim

7. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Just a short interjection: just because there is no tuning aid on the first valve doesn't mean it needs one. It was just built using a different design philosophy for intonation. It has a third-slide ring.

Tom

8. Steelheadman1

Steelheadman1 New Friend

Dec 5, 2014
    The story is that the sellers dad played it in the 40's then it sat for 20 years, played for 2 years in the 60's than sat until 93 when it was played by son for 6 months after that, it was re-corked, oiled and prepared for long term storage. When he prepared to sell a month ago was the first time it came out of plastic bag, inside case.

9. Steelheadman1

Steelheadman1 New Friend

Dec 5, 2014
    Yes it came with a plastic "Selmer" case also

10. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Sounds like a winner though I would get a tech to take a look at it and clean all that old lube out. You'd want to budget $100 for that though it ought to cost less.

Tom