Help this Dad with no Musical skills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Steelheadman1, Dec 8, 2014.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What he said.

2. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I honestly don't know much about the horn. But I will suggest that if you want to get a good used horn at a good price, look up Quality Brass on google. Frank Cirksena has a bunch of great horns and is more than willing to not only help you find a good one, he'll service it and send you the best of the lot. He's as honest as the day is long and I can't recommend him enough.

Mark

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If I lived close, I would have definitely looked at it.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    VetPsychWars stated it didn't have the normal trumpet intonation and this is true but only due to the Coprion (copper) bell which IMO gives it a mellower edge. I now have its sister/brother and like it for what it is. The crux is having any pre-owned trumpet checked out by a competent tech and returned to you in time to be under the Christmas tree. Don't know where you are, but Ivan (Trumpetsplus) has done such for me.

Otherwise, your son who is a euphonium player should recognize the fingering for a trumpet for it is the same as on the euphonium when played in the treble clef. I too play a euphonium, mostly with a 6 1/2 AL in lieu of a 12 C. Too, by now he should have been taught how to clean and lubricate a brass instrument.

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Looks nice to me. I'd rather buy a horn like that (in good condition...do have a real player check the instrument out) than spend the same on a new trumpet. Like new cars, once driven off the lot...you know...Besides it's classic! Trumpets, IF PROPERLY MAINTAINED, can last a loonnggg time...How do the valves LOOK? Got a picture of the sealing surfaces?

6. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    well im sure im stating the obvious here, but also make sure they know how to properly take care of a quality horn...ive seen too many otherwise nice horns all but destroyed by careless students who dont know what they have. also, i know you want a good horn for them but why not get them a decent student model for half the price? i might sound like a broken reccord but its been proven time and time again, olds ambassador is sometimes the way to go. just my two cents.

7. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Looks to be in much nicer condition than my 12B, for which I paid $110. (I could not pass it up at that price! In this original picture the dents in the bell bow are not visible, though you can see some of the pings in the bell throat. This was mostly all removed by my tech.)

[​IMG]

I agree that yours is a decent, though not stunning, deal. If I were to sell mine it would probably be in that neighborhood. Do try to take care of it!

Oh, the 12B is reputedly essentially the well-regarded NY 22B, but with the Coprion (copper) bell.

8. Steelheadman1

Steelheadman1 New Friend

Dec 5, 2014
    Thanks for all the input, I purchased the horn the other day and it is now in hiding until Christmas. I will take to a local reputable music center after Christmas for a once over. I can't wait to tell the kids about the back story of this horn. Supposedly it was played by a Private in a Polka Band in the 40's during the war on bases for the Soldiers. We love history and watch shows about WW2 all the time. This will be neat for the kids to have a piece from the greatest generation in US history:)

9. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Congratulations!
    They will always remember this gift!

10. Steelheadman1

Steelheadman1 New Friend

Dec 5, 2014
    Update- Its been almost a year and this horn has really launched my sons interest into old horn history!!! He absolutely loves to play and learn about horns. He is 16yrs old and now has 11 different horns all but a couple he has bought by himself with money earned from working! This year he is getting a ...... better not say yet he may be watching this site!! Lol