Help! Trumpet tuning slide leak water

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by oldsben, Nov 4, 2008.

1. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    My olds ambassador always leak a little bit of water through the turning slide, first and third valve tuning slides after playing. When I took the slides out of the tube, I can see small water particles everywhere on the tube. So is this a indication of leaking air through the tubes? How can I fix this problem? I'm thinking of using Vaseline oil. Will it work? Or there are other products that can work better than the Vaseline?

By the way, there is no dent on the slides and the slide is not too loose as well. I can pull the slides out with a little bit of strength.

Thanks in advance!
    Ben

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If water is coming out then you are leaking air. A good band repair shop can fix this for you and it's an easy fix. If they are leaking and don't pull well they may be out of line as well. Schilke slide grease is thicker and last longer

3. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    Thanks! I'll try Schilke grease and see.

4. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    My local store don't have Schilke grease so I only got Roche-Thomas grease. Put grease on the trumpet slides and it sounds better and easier to blow^_^. But to me the slide grease did feel very much like Vaseline which is basically petroleum. I feel the Vaseline is more sticky. I would really try Vaseline next time :-)

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Oldsben,
    I use anhydrous lanolin from the drugstore. It is pretty thick and seals very well. for the tuning slides I use it with a drop of valve oil. No need for fancy stuff that works no better!

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Not to get into a p-----g match with Robin, but, I was taught by A.J.'Bill' Johnson the former owner of York Band Instrument Co., when I worked for him in his retail store, to use something that I am not certain is available to Robin in Germany, Bag Balm. It is a blend of petrolatum,( vasoline ), and hydrous lanolin. Bag Balm is available in drug stores, groceries, farm supplies, etc., at the humoungus price of $5.59 for a lifetime supply in a 10oz tin. It works well to soften and protect skin too.

OLDLOU>>

7. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    Thanks for the lifetime replys of trumpet grease. ^_^

Seems I've covered for lifetime.

Oldsben