help valve stuck

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Dec 2, 2012.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    during my region band audition on friday my 3rd valve slide just simply got stuck. ill explain everything

the whole day my valves were working perfectly fine

later in the audition for my second etude between every 5 people they let everyone play a little for 20 secs

i was fingering a scale (nothing wrong with 3rd valve slide)

then BAM out of nowhere it got stuck. Not like supper glue stuck where i cant even take it out, but it is still unplayable. ive had this sometimes happen before like once or twice and all i had to do what clean the valve then grease it with valve oil. Not this time, and it gets even better, I can't figure out what's causing the problem the valve slide or the valve casing

ive put the 3rd valve slide into the 1st and 2nd valve casing and it slides smoothly

so that must mean the problem is the 3rd valve casing right?

well i put the 1st and 2nd valve slides into the 3rd valve casing and it still slides smoothly

i also switched 3rd valve slides with a friend (has the exact same trumpet) and their slide works on my trumpet

so i cannot for the life of me understand what's going on. Any ideas other than taking it to a shop?

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    It sounds more like an operation error rather than a mechanical failure. Stuff like that happens to everyone. You could have just had your finger arched wrong or pushed down at an angle. It the instance that it is mechanical failure, clean the horn. Soak it in some nice warm, soapy water, snake it out, all that good stuff, and after, oil and grease your horn up, it should be fine. When was the last time you cleaned it?

3. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    i cleaned is the monday before the audition

ive already given it a bath yesterday and today and it is still not working

4. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    I've lived through this scenario. When you move the 3rd valve to either casing 1 or 2, does the problem migrate with the valve? If so, take a look at the valve guide. Unless your horn is old or rare, the simplest and cheapest thing to try next is a new valve guide. If you have something like a period H N White, it becomes a little more problematic. My H N White cornet had the same symptoms. I was able to hear (stethoscope) a slight "binding" noise when the valve was fully depressed and then released. Actually I was able to hear the noise unaided once I suspected the problem. I was also unable to locate new valve guides (3 pronged) on the Net or repair shop that would work on my horn. After 90 yrs one might expect these little unpleasant surprises.I very lightly polished the 3 valve guide passages on the offending valve and "voila" it has worked since.

5. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    i figured it out

my tuning slide was bent slightly in and i fixed it by accident

haha thank you anyways

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Send trumpetsplus a PM, or contact him directly from his site. Jaeger Brass- Contact

It could be bad cleaning, valve guide, valve casing, piston, spring, how it depress or many other things. Ivan is a master tech and I would trust his advice.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Okay, please help clarify. sometimes you are saying your 3rd valve is stuck and sometimes you are saying your third valve slide. Big difference. You say you put the slides into the casings. Do you mean the valves into the valve casings or do you mean you are trying a slide on a different valve tube?

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Sometimes of the tolerance between the sldie tubes is loose, the slide will jam because it slides at an angle.
    You can fix this by moving to a heavier grease. Cleaning your horn could have removed some build up that filled the gap between slides, preventing it from sticking.

9. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 if indeed we're talking about the slide and not the valve. If it's the valve casing, take it to a tech or director to find out the reason it malfunctioned. I'm still not 100% sure what the problem is/was.