Help - What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by meemaw, Jul 2, 2014.

1. meemaw

meemaw New Friend

May 11, 2011
    New Mills, Derbyshire UK
    When working on my range excercises and trying to arch my tongue to move from ee to hiss, I just succeed in ultimately closing the air passage down and getting nowhere...How should I be doing this?

Also when I see videos of people going higher up the register, there is a distinct raising and pulling back of the cheek muscles, what are they doing to get to that stage?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hiss? You doing "Pop's" routine? You have to practice until you get it. Very fine motor control needed for range regardless of the method, so, it takes lots and lots of practice. It all happens on the inside so you've got to think about it while doing it.

3. meemaw

meemaw New Friend

May 11, 2011
    New Mills, Derbyshire UK
    Ok thanks...maybe I'm thinking and trying too hard...

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Many would say that it´s a combination of tongue raising and delicate
    lip work that does it, not the tongue raising alone. I´m one of them . . .

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    if I told you - "YES, ABSOLUTELY THINKING TOO MUCH" --- don't get to bent out of shape. YOU see on TM you have a bunch of trumpet players --- ALL of them have their own "gimmick" of sorts ---(((I arch my tongue, I pinch my nose, I have gaps in my teeth, I twist the trumpet to the right, I point it in the air, etc, etc etc))) -- and some of these things actually work, and some DO NOT.

here is a great tutorial from one of the guys who can play (James Morrison) James Morrison's trumpet tutorial: Part 1 Breathing - YouTube ------------------- if you watch this, you will find an interesting thing that this guy says!!!! --- "listen and then make the sound, that is how you play trumpet" --------------------- but yes, please listen to this guy

welcome and have a great day

6. meemaw

meemaw New Friend

May 11, 2011
    New Mills, Derbyshire UK
    Thanks guys...Yes I have that DVD and forgotten about it...