Help, what happened and how do I do it again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hi gang,

As some of you know I teach beginners on cornet, trumpet etc. Well tonight I was taking a lesson and we had done the serious exam work (and the lad played really well) then after the concentration he has a low version of Tuxedo Junction, in F so we play it and at the end we just have a little play into high notes, just up the chord to see. It's a bit of fun and he loves it.

If I start from the begining last week I bit the inside of my lip while eating a sandwich, as often happens the front of my lip split, just a touch. So I've been taking it a little easy this week and playing with even less pressure than normal (I have really reduced it since Xmas and insist that my students understand the notion of low pressure playing). Up we went tonight at the end of Tux J and I nearly fell over when I hit the most beautiful C in the space above 5 ledger lines. Now I just need to know how I did it, but I thougt I'd share. For info it was on my Weltklang rotary and a Stork 3b mouthpiece

A

2. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
  3. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I don't know how many times I've thought, "How did I do that?" And when I try again and fail, I realize, I don't know.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I suppose you need to keep biting/splitting your lip...:lol:

Seriously, though, it could be the reduced pressure, taking it easy, or just one of those things that happens when the planets are in a certain alignment.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Obviously a delayed reaction from tootling on my Studio Sov yesterday! ;-)

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    It's the trumpet gods playing with your head Andy. I had a similar occurrence on the weekend. The lesson to be taken is probably that these celestial moments usually happen when we're not trying.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you probably were really shooting for the 2 ledger line above the staff C ------ and you just added more air --------------------- and that is the secret to that higher C, add more air!!!!! ---- I suggest try adding more air and slurring from the 2nd ledger C to the 5 space above the staff C ((((yes, you heard that great advice from KT, and it does work))))

8. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I totally agree ,we play our best when we are not trying to and just do .that's pretty cool Andy :D sure is fun when those surprises come along,enjoy the moment :cool:

Dean_0

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You were relaxed and just enjoying playing. We usually screw up when we try too hard. Outside of that, I got no idea! ;-)
    On a side note, I did hear that if you have a tooth gap like Faddis, it adds range!!! With your split lip and a gap, the possibilities are endless. If you've no gap, take a credit card and start wedging it between your two front teeth...... :roll:

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    also Andy ------- play softly when you do the octave slurs ------------ softly, relaxed, no pressure on your lips to stop the vibrations, ----------------just add more air (try this on lower octaves and progress up to that Double C) ----