Help, what happened and how do I do it again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    That actually makes a lot of sense, hang on who are you and what have you done with the real KT ROFLROFLROFL

Thanks though whoever you are

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, Andy, that shows you how overtrained most of us are... I'm wondering to which heights I'll soar after my enforced stay off the trumpet after my pneumonia: Tried out a 1890's vintage rotary C in a shop yesterday - first notes after almost four weeks of nothing at all - sounded like a D and went off to heaven.. for two minutes. Then reaction set in, and had me coughing my lungs to blazes for the next hour or so...

3. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Barlimann:
    Must be catching. I have just done the same routine. My doc said getting back on the horn was the thing to do--that it was good for the lungs. You'll be back before you know it.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, my doc said that with water in the lungs trumpet playing would not be the greatest idea... and he's a trombone player, so he should know...

5. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Mine was a mild case--part of one lobe involved and the antibiotics kicked it pretty good. I didn't start in again until the drugs were going about a week. The playing seemed to help remove some of the fluid; yes, it made me cough a bit more, but with productive results.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm here, just occasionally I like to give up my humor(humour) and add something positive to reinforce a discovery that someone has made -- or therefore offer very useful tips, or materials that would help to excel your progress, or help you to have repeatable experiences with your trumpet (cornet) playing.

you probably have already viewed this -- and I offered it up on another post ( James Morrison's trumpet tutorial: Part 1 Breathing - YouTube ) ------------------ one thing in all of these tutorials, is RELAX -- and James also says ----- you don't need tricks ----------------JUST LISTEN to the sound, and then repeat it!!!!

7. tpopbop

tpopbop New Friend

May 1, 2012
    When you can't rely on your lip, the only thing left is AIR. And that's the thing that make this wind instrument thing work in the first place. As long as that top lip is available to vibrate because you're not using too much pressure, it all just kinda works out. Amazingly simple, yet we make it so complicated sometimes.

It only took me about 20 years to figure that out!

8. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Today while doing my range study I somehow hit a double C three times. My son even confirmed it with the tuner. Of course the fourth time when I attempted to record it I couldn't do it. I'll likely not be able to get it again for quite a while.

Normally my range maxes out at around a high G. I have no idea how I did it, but it was kinda cool. Sounded nice and strong too. Oh well.....

Mark

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    as your building up to those notes ----- it takes a lot of air and the ability to hold your embouchure together ----- I also noticed (especially early on, that I needed about 4 days rest ---- or 4 days without really trying the high notes, before my muscles were "rested" enough to reproduce the high notes) ----- gradually the upper range limits increase, but ever so slowly

10. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Actually I'm quite happy with the slow progress I've made. About a year ago I could barely play a high C. And when I could it was VERY hard work. Now I can easily play a high F and can usually play the F# and G. My usable range is to about an E, but I know I'm getting better.

Mark