Help, what happened and how do I do it again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Cornyandy, Jul 2, 2014.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    slow and steady wins the race ----- you will C ROFL ROFL ROFL B all you can B.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
  3. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Ha, I found it again. And this time I got it recorded. Someone write down the date and time.

Now if I could only use it in a 'sentence.'

Mark

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you don't need a miracle --- you need to keep practicing --- have good form and lot's of air ---

Blue Devils 05 - Scott Dean solo - Gent, Belgium - YouTube

(ps. and a KING SILVER FLAIR trumpet -- which he is using) --- ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Most often when players take some time off their instrument, the lip tends to relax and in doing so will produce three major changes-

1. Flexibility and tone improve.

2. High range increases.

3. Endurance goes down.

Euphoria is such a fleeting moment!

6. treble_forte

treble_forte Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    Can I throw a spanner into the works please?

More air kept me from developing range and endurance, as I learned to over blow. Classic case of meat head tuition and thinking.

I understand that our perceptions and experiences are all different, so more air to me could have been the most damaging thing to say. Roger ingram set me straight. My gig range is at the moment up to 4th ledger G, and in practice I take Rogers exercises to C,D and even Eb above this. It is a very coordinated, unforced, thoughtful process.

Play quietly, support the upper notes, dont force, let the instrument resonate.

Finally one of the biggest battles is mental. Believe you can do it again. Dont tell yourself it is hard. As soon as you decide that it is very hard it becomes very hard.

With respect
    Mike

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, exactly --- well the endurance has to be built back up, but the euphoric moment is often short lived ------ best to keep putting in the face time, and make the notes "honest" ones, ALL the time!!!!

8. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree King. I don't need a miracle, it just feels like one at the moment. It more of the accomplishment that I actually not only played it but heard it. I realize that it takes work and considering I had trouble playing a High (second ledger) C a year ago, I'm thrilled. As for working, I know that as well and I am working. My usable range is an E or F and that's plenty for me at the moment.

It's a similar feeling to the first time I crossed the finish line in the marathon. Although I started the race that same day, it took me about 8 months to cross that finish line.

I will continue to work, like I do with my running, to get a little better each day.

Mark

9. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    It's interesting you say that, because I have the same issue. Every time I was told "use more air" I would blow harder and harder. It got to the point where I couldn't force any more air into the horn and I'd get this horrible back pressure. I still get it from time to time, but I'm working on it.

I think having a chronic lung disease always made me think that I had to work harder to do the same work with my lungs. I know that I don't know, but it's taken a long time to figure out. If I could just think of a catch phrase other than "use more air" I think I'd be in good shape. I'd like to eliminate that from my trumpet vocabulary.

Mark