Help, what should I do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lullaby, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Lullaby

Lullaby New Friend

Sep 5, 2011
    Two years ago something happened where I couldn't play high and my tone disappeared with that. I had to start all over, I was in junior high and could play double G's. My freshman year I spent building back now and I'm finally good again and I'm now a sophomore. My range has improved dramatically I just got first chair in our school's top jazz band. We're practicing for chair tryouts for concert band (I'm in the top concert band, too) and jazz just started and I've been playing a lot. Yesterday I noticed I was having trouble with high notes for a bit, my lips felt tired even while I was warming up! I was having trouble going between registers but I could still hit the high notes. I can still hit them today and they're a little airy. I'm noticing some patterns and I hope this isn't history repeating. What should I do..?

2. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    GAD! Why is a cutie like you worrying about high Cs? Oh well! The usual questions, what mouthpiece are you using? Have you changed any equiptment? What is your
    practice/ playing routine each day? Not only how long daily but how long each session. When is the first session and what do you do to warm up?

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    That is weird, did you change mouthpieces? How about trumpets. What do you play on now?

4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    How much do you practice/play? I went through a period of years in college when I was tearing my muscles down and not letting them recover. You can beat your chops to death.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You are giving a history and symptoms of lip strain as you've "been playing a lot" more than your typical work out. This will resolve, as long as you do not keep overdoing it.

Give yourself a lip message for a couple of minutes about 4 times a day. Rotating rub with fingers, than slow steady stretch. Rotating rub with fingers, than slow stead stretch. Again for a couple of minutes, than stop and go back to your normal activity. If sore after the message, hold a small ice chip under the lip for several seconds and repeat this with a minute or two between icing. Drop down on your rehearsal times by 20% (If you practice for an hour, drop it to about 45 minutes. If you still note loss of control of upper notes before this time, stop at that point. Then message the area again as above.

Give it a week and you should be back to your normal practice mode.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Sounds like excessive strain. If playing is important to you, don't throw it away. Rather than trying to be first chair on several groups why don't you concentrate on the one that is really your favorite type of music and play 2nd or 2rd on another (these countermelodies can be really interesting you know). You don't have to play in all the bands either. Overtaxing yourself might end up in your repeating of the problem you mentioned in your post.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Try kissing more between practice sessions. That relaxes your overworked face muscles and lips.

Seriously, it sounds like you simply do not have the endurance to play all of the things that you are playing. That can be caused by inadequate breathing, bad practice habits, lack of concept of how the music should go, too little practice. Only a real local teacher can say for sure what is the REAL problem. You are only describing symptoms.

8. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I don't quite understand why people have to answer requests by young females with cutie and kissing gags. It's her first post. I try to ignore the avatar and answer the question. Hope you are not put off by this Lullaby. There is some sound advice here. If you are pushing yourself and using poor technique to play high, then you are best to back off. I know plenty of guys who have pushed too hard and done permanent damage.
    It is impossible to diagnose from the info, but I think Phil may have a valid point.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

But if you need a lab partner, my recommendation is to stay away from PatMurphy!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Precisely, which is why I posted my above disclaimer. AND I am not quite sure how kissing would enhance the embouchure as it applies to trumpet use. These muscles are used in different ways for kissing (another disclaimer).