Help with a mouthpiece problem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Oct 5, 2010.

1. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Ditto BrotherBach. Kanstul makes that CG3 in a Bach style blank if you prefer. Just be careful and try to avoid a mouthpiece safari. Been there done that.

I am a 60 year old come back player and like you started with a Bach 7C for awhile. Then started trying this and that.

I really liked the Bach 5C Trumpet M..P. over all, of the Bach M.P.'s. I do like some bite on my rim. But I find the Bach 5C rim to be to rough on the lips after playing awhile. Had to quit with it. Even the Conn Selmer CKB 5C M.P.'s have that same style rim,but not quite as sharp.

For me the Kanstul CG3/CGP M.P.'s work best. You can get them in Cornet as well. Good luck.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, Study888 beat me to it! That Stork site is a good one. I too started back with a 7c. I will try not to rant. But the reason most of us play or played a 7c is because that is what we were given. I found it to be limiting to my facial/lip structure and ended up with a mpc in the .650-.660 range (compared to .635). I also chose a shallow cup (was told this is a no-no). However, after a solid 4 year comeback,I am playing better than ever. Currently I have a very usable E above high C and pedals aren't a problem. It takes a lot of practice and learning/training for flexibility, but get the mpc that is most comfortable to you.

3. Jon7C

Jon7C New Friend

Dec 3, 2009
    I have encountered many of the same problem listed here. The one mouthpiece that seems to do the trick for me is the Stork Vacchiano 2C. This is what my instructor says I sound the best on. I'm keeping my Bach 3C as a backup, but I love the Stork!