Help with a younger student?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by KTandCompany, May 5, 2013.

1. KTandCompany

KTandCompany New Friend

Apr 29, 2013
    Chillinois
    I'm new to teaching lessons since I'm only a senior in high school, but I just recently started teaching my first student. He's in fifth grade and from what I know was doing really well at the beginning of the school year, but slacked off a lot throughout the year and is now really behind.
    Anyway, he has a problem with not being able to get off the lower partial, and no matter what I tell him to do (more air, tighter embouchure, better posture) he will briefly hit the right notes and then slip back down the the lower partial. He's really motivated and wants to learn, but gets discouraged when he can't hit the higher notes. So it's not like he isn't trying.
    Any advice on how to get him to hit the higher notes (I'm talking F, G, A in the staff-- fifth grade) more consistently?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    First of all, check the leadpipe. Is it clean? If so, the little guy hasn't been practicing. Let him sit there while you practice. (Not trying to be mean, but I've been fooled before.) If he has been practicing, have him do mouthpiece work. Make sure the lips aren't too far apart. If all else fails, stick him on baritone.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Sometimes, playing really soft can help reduce the size of the apperature.
    Do you have any "fun" songs for your student to practice?

4. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Just my two cents here, but here's what I might try:

1. Start him with some breathing exercises - Big Breath in and let the exhale come out naturally through just parted lips (that are saying "m")
    2. Next, add the trumpet - big Inhale and play on middle C - have him just exhale naturally through the horn - to feel the resistance - the note will die out naturally (and likely go flat or down to lower notes) - DON'T PUSH the air at this point. Just a natural exhale.
    3. Next - big inhale, and now have him try to do the same thing, but keep the pitch steady. Have him feel the vibrations on his lips and in the horn - he can push if he needs.
    4. Next - same thing, but once he establishes the pitch, have him go from an "ooo" type of embouchure to an "eee" type and slightly increase the air stream speed - to lip slur to G and hold it out. Have him feel what the G feels like and sounds like when he's playing it - lip vibration, air, etc.
    5. Now, start with step 3 on the G.

You get the idea.

It sounds like his lip has just lost its support muscle tone - he needs to play more often...

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Time -- and more Time --- and more Time with the horn on his lips!!!!!

6. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    that is smart yet funny. Hahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahaahhahaaroflrofl

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Get him to blow through a drinking straw (holding it with his lips, not teeth or hand) as if he is blowing a spit ball. When the Saints is a great song to help with this.

8. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    BTW welcome to TM!