Help with an audition piece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DrDean, Mar 9, 2015.

1. DrDean

DrDean New Friend

Mar 8, 2015
    I hope this is the right place to post this. My son is in eighth grade and will be auditioning for his high school band (they have 3 levels of band). The audition piece is complex and he is working hard toward mastering it. However, I think if he were able to hear it being played he would get it much faster. Would anyone be interested in recording the attached as an mp3? We would greatly appreciate it.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...WpZEzBT0/w363-h642-no/IMG_20150308_150150.jpg

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    David Baldwin also has recorded a cd with all these Arban Characteristic Studies. (and also Charlier & Bitsch etudes)

However.. I would recommend becoming fluent in the fundamentals that make up this (and the other 13) studies.

This one is a bunch of scale and arpeggio licks in Ab (F minor) and a lyrical dolce section in Db.

So start doing a bunch of fundamentals in those keys. Rich Willey has a great book called "Scale Force" and two books of variations on Clarke's Technical Study #2.

If he is having trouble with this etude it is probably from a lack of familiarity in these keys.

To really get these down you need to practice them half-fast... Rather than half-a$$ed. Set a metronome at 50bpm and go slow. If you make mistakes at that tempo go slower. When you start consistently getting clean run throughs then you are ready to start walking up the metronome (in small increments) until you are doing it at 100bpm. The more fluent you already are in the fundamentals then the less time it will take.

If you do it this way by the time you get to the final tempo you will have done hundreds or maybe thousands of perfect reps.

4. DrDean

DrDean New Friend

Mar 8, 2015
    Thank you guys very much. This will help him out a ton.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Good grief - there's no way I could have played that in 8th grade, and parts of that would be a challenge for me now - the jumps in measures 10 and 12 would be tough to hit cleanly. What kind of trumpet players are they growing where you live?

I guess it would depend a bit on how much time I had to prepare for it. If I had to do it next week, it'd be a hot mess. If I had a month or so to work on it, I could get it and clean it up.

6. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Yeah, no kidding!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Seriously though - I worked as a trumpet player for Uncle Sam, and while I know I never had what one would call virtuosic technique, I was a solid player - that excerpt would have been challenging for me even when my technique was at its strongest. I'm blown away that they are expecting an 8th grade kid to play that. It must be a very strong music program at that school.

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I agree with Patrick. That is a ridiculous assignment for an 8th grade trumpet player.
    The advice of playing it slowing is right. Play as slowly as needed to get it right and then speed it up.
    Rich T.

9. DrDean

DrDean New Friend

Mar 8, 2015
    It really isn't an assignment. This is their audition piece to determine who gets placed in honors band and who gets placed in the other two wind ensembles. The band at his HS next year is seriously good. They even said that the students shouldn't worry too much if they can't complete the piece...I just wanted to give him the chance.

10. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Sounds like my high school. HBoVa 17 years in a row.
    Thanks for encouraging your son and trying to help him out.
    It's more about being the best. Did he work on it with his private instructor? A bunch of random people on the internet won't be able to do what one instructor could do in five or six hours over the next two weeks (half hour sessions three days a week).