Help with an audition piece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DrDean, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Once upon a time I did some tough stuff in the 8th grade, whereas I was already playing 3rd trumpet in the high school band. That said, I've had a pre-owned copy of Arban's since either 7th or 8th grade, and tossed it because it was falling apart in college and in my comeback purchased a new platinum edition. Still, I am still not personally satisfied with many of the etudes in it, and I'd say if I am not, who else should I expect to be satisfied. Yes, I understand that others expect the full orchestration including harmony and not all the notes of our trumpet solo music studies are favored by others. Simplest put there are not that many songs among the millions that support a trumpet solo, even with accompaniment.

2. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    I played first chair trumpet all through jr high and high school, and could have never played that audition piece, but that was in the 80's. Maybe we were still dragging our knuckles back then. We had about 12-15 trumpet players in our sections on average. I was in the big city.

In 8th grade, no kid had chops for that piece. And only one kid in high school could have even attempted that on trumpet, and it wasn't me. Her (yes a girl) and I fought over that first chair all through high school. She had the range and technical dexterity and I had natural emotion, swing, vibrato, and tone quality. She could march and play loud for a crowd, and I played the classical sound everybody liked...I hated marching, plus I couldn't hit/solo the high C in front of the grandstands on Friday night football game, before 3,000 screaming kids/parents. She excelled at that. I sucked at it. Walking and chewing gum...forget it. But, neither one of us could have played that Arban's piece worth a darn. I agree this piece is ridiculous for a high school audition.

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Why would they be having kids do this? Seems to me a lot of kids are going to miss out on music because they may just give up. How could any kid especially a highschool freshman learn to appreciate and have fun with music if their asked to play at that level

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If just 1 out of 500 students makes a decent effort, the 8th grade instructor keeps his/her position. If not, the supervisory commission over the Board of Education can eliminate the music program from their entire school system. A large percentage of the present teachers at that level are not yet certified by the State as they have not served 2 years in the 3 year Teachers for America program. In effect they are probationary and can be let go without cause. Music, vocal or instrumental is not a core educational program, make of it what you wiil ... or wont.

5. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Huh? I don't understand these five sentences at all. What are you talking about, Mr. Lee? What is a supervisory commission? If you're referring to the Board of Supervisors or Commissioners in your county or someone else's county, they normally don't have jurisdiction over a county school board or district and school boards are elected positions with the final say over a school elected or appointed superintendent.

And even if they did or some other commission did... how or why or in what universe does this body have any say whatsoever on an advanced piece of music to use for auditions at the 8th grade level? That's a direct decision by a non-formally educated or super arrogantly incompetent music teacher in the classroom. No other non-music staff or person would even know where to find that Arban's page.

6. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    [​IMG]

Some schools have higher standards. The jimmies are rustling ITT.

Strong reading comprehension ITT, too. This is to GET INTO HONORS BAND. If a kid has a private instructor, I would have expected him or her to have seen some of Arban's after playing for the better part of five years. "Honors", at least when I was in school, meant kids with proficiency and dedication to go above and beyond "average", which would include private instruction.

This audition doesn't sound exclusive, i.e., it isn't going to keep anyone from playing as it's meant just to determine who gets into honor band. It also appears to be elective, meaning if you can't do it or don't want to, you go into one of the other two bands.

Guess what else? We had this as audition piece for states when I was a sophomore. I didn't get in cos I'd only been playing trumpet for a year, but I didn't consider it "hard" at the time, just a technically difficult piece I didn't have the chops for, yet.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'll have to agree that in many venues the county commissioners and members of the board of education are elected, but in others they are just a civil service job the position of which is selected by yet another civil service position, who may not even be the human resources director, the whole process being no different than that for selection of a janitor. An applicable curricula vitae is not always essential criteria.

While I'm originally from Allegheny County PA, Northampton County NC where I now live is so impoverished that the budget controls all and not even the County manager is elected. Last year they consolidated 2 high schools into one as is now overcrowded. Goodbye to one band instructor/director and many teachers due to the budget, but somehow new football and band uniforms were bought, 100 of the latter for a high school band of 26 members. The current band instructor/director is a B Ed with music major in piano performance. I write instructor/director because she is charged with band instruction in 4 middle schools that hold class for 35 minutes per week, plus directing the high school band. IMO the high school band is a disgrace to make a public appearance. Yep, she has only been in that position one year within the Teachers for America program and is not yet certified by the State of North Carolina to teach anything. Will she have any longevity in this position? I strongly doubt it, but I have no input about it. All I know for sure is that I'll not tell my wife to have any present trumpeter in the high school band sound Taps at my funeral (there are only 4 trumpeters, that I know of).

I'm presently tutoring a trumpeter that attends Northeast Academy, a private grade and combined high school. They've a high school concert band with 56 members currently. My only comment about them is too many strings. Still, I pay $10.00 for tickets to attend their performances even though they are held in their gymnasium. A private endowment I'm told will provide an auditorium in the coming years.

8. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Yes, *here* they are elected. I'm elected and hold a high office.

In some places, there are appointments and management positions that are at-will. I understand what you are saying there.

I totally understand where you are coming from on the budgeting priorities between sports (football) and music. This is a common problem everywhere and it is a cultural thing. Anyway, what I'm getting at, and I think many would agree, is that piece is ridiculous, even for honors band tryouts at the 8th grade level. I'm not sure this has anything to do with expectations at the teaching level for 8th grade students. I take it, your deeper point is making some sort of "impression" on the people who make budgeting decisions, and or, the parents so that those decisions are influenced. If this is the underlying goal here, I think they have taken it too far. But hey...that's just my opinion.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As stated, I possessed Arban's in the 8th grade, but I do not believe I ever played #12 of the 14 Characteristic Studies then, but know I have since, but certainly such was not in high school. Don't hold me to it, but I think it was either as a sophomore or junior in college when I did, and then not that such was required. In my comeback and now with advanced age and major health issues, can I now with COPD among my ills, I'll not know and see no need to attempt such. Really I concur and don't think the whole of Arban's should be allowed in the Public Schools, and then, only in post graduate studies in colleges/universities and even then restricted to trumpet/cornet performance majors. I believe what I say lies well with what Joseph Jean Baptiste Laurent Arban originally intended vis a Conservatory Method. Just for "kicks", I'd like to lay this music before the principal trumpet/cornet players in renown symphony orchestras and listen to how they fare with it.

There is a need here for an alternate magistrate, and I've been approached to apply for such with the stipend that the county would pay for me to take the needed course(s) in the NC Code. Even though I hold a Masters in Justice Administration, I'm retired on disability and unable to travel to the extremes of this county as would be required. Aside from that, the pay offered is a pittance and not worth my time, yet would also cut-back on my Social Security. A few here on TM know I'm not hurting for an income and otherwise still have extensive administrative involvement that provide supplemental income, not that I leave this chair for most of such, and have lots of time to doodle here on TM and many other forums and play my brass instruments for pleasure.

10. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    Me too. I took private lessons in 1984-1986 with the Arban's exclusively. My book is filled with my instructor's notes and assignments... My Arban's study began in my 9th grade year, but we stuck to scales study, and only went in a few pages on songs in both the duet and single sections. I did not play any variations or get anywhere near the above posted audition piece. You could study that book for five to ten years before landing there if the study is honest. I have a lot of respect for that player who posted the video on page one here. That particular part of the Arban's #12 is advanced study. Can I play it? Yes, but not well. I think it sounded like a dying moose last time I tried it. haha