Help With Bach Strad [pics]

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by poetofsound, Feb 12, 2009.

1. poetofsound

poetofsound Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    California
    Hey Everyone,

I've had my Bach Strad model 43 for a few years now. I love it to death. Its had some work done on it. Several patching jobs, valve alignment, and some work done on the bell (which it doesn't play the same since that). So my questions are:

• What are my options?
    • Should I replate it?
    • Is it worth it since the sound hasn't been the same anyways?

The serial number is: 253653

Here are some pics I took so you can get an idea of what condition it's in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You could get it replated, but the wear on the valve block won't look new again. Any imperfections in the brass will still show. I don't think they do acid copper build-up to resurface the outside of the horn like they do for valves.

I don't get your first question. Your options for what?

Your third question, if it relates to the plating changing the sound....it won't

3. poetofsound

Jan 4, 2009
    California
    Thanks for the reply man.

What I meant by options is "what is the best way to get this thing back it good shape." I'm not really concern about it looking like brand new. Just something that will make it look better than it is now.
    If I get it replated what are my choices for that. Raw brass, silver, etc.

Thanks again!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The pictures are not 100% clear, but I think I see red rot on the lead pipe - that means you will need to get that changed too.

You may be better off finding a second horn in better shape (or new). Then you have a plan B AND you will know what it plays like before investing. A repair on your current instrument will not destroy the playing qualities of the horn, but it probably will change noticeably.

5. poetofsound

Jan 4, 2009
    California
    Sorry about the pictures. Didn't really know what to take a pic of. Well my main horn is my Stomvi. I just wanted to fix this one up. I got it for $500 so the money for replating isn't an issue. As for the sound, I have no problem with a sound change if its for the better. The sound especially in the lower register isn't the same since the bell repair (they had to heat it up to get a crease out.) It sounded great before though.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    That's too bad. $500 for a Bach 43 project horn is a fair price, but unfortunately it sounds like the repair ruined it for you. Now you have a horn that's ugly and doesn't play well. Maybe offer it on e-bay for someone else to use as a project?

7. poetofsound

Jan 4, 2009
    California
    Yeah, it wasn't really a project horn to start out with. I wouldn't even dare think to get it worked on if someone in marching band hadn't stepped on it and creased the bell. :thumbdown:

I'm going to Kanstul tomorrow and see what they can do for me. I know zig can help me decide what to do with it. Just wanted to see what you guys thought. Thanks!

8. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Well, you said that after the bell job the trumpet is not the same...
    Anyway, you could go for a new valve block (check Getzen if you are in the USA) which is around 425$ including slides in raw brass. (ask for Mary Rima)
    Then add the brass repairer... check if it is worth.
    Good look

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think that any repair Will change the sound. Maybe just a little but maybe a lot.

If this were my trumpet I would re plate it. Maybe change the lead pipe. If I didn't like the way it plays, I would sell it. I think you could get your money back. A just re plated trumpet will sell better than a fixer-upper. Everybody on here likes Kanstul so that should be a plus in your add to sell.

"Bach trumpet just overhauled by Kanstul"

I had my Bach trumpet overhauled and re plated in silver. I had red rot on the lead pipe.
    They took off the lead pipe and turned it so the rot was in a different direction. It's been about 20 years and the rot is just starting to show again.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Vinney,

If you want to get it restored to better than new condition then I would suggest
    sending it to Oberloh music Oberloh Woodwind and Brass Works.

These guys have a fantastic reputation for restoring / rebuilding Bachs.

Greg