Help with Claude Gordon method please?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Shunt, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Shunt

Shunt New Friend

Mar 11, 2011
    UK
    Hi there. I earn my living playing the trumpet, but in a different capacity than previously. I used to work in symphony orchestras, then had a few years working away from music. Now I'm back, but my playing work nowadays is mostly dance band/swing band/big band/theatre stuff. I never had a great high register (up to E/F above top C) but never needed any more than this in the classical world so I concentrated on other aspects of my playing, rather than making a serious effort to improve it. Now of course this is simply not good enough for my current work, so I need to do something about it! A couple of friends and colleagues have highly recommended Claude Gordon's methods (which I have somehow never come across previously), so I have bought "Brass Playing is no Harder then Deep Breathing", "A Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing", and "A Systematic Approach to Daily Practice". I have 2 questions about the "Systematic Approach" book: 1) He recommends staying with each "Lesson" for at least a week: is this appropriate in my case, or would it be more beneficial to move through them a little quicker? 2) in the later "Lessons" he incorporates Clarke studies, Walter Smith, and Satin-Jacome. Is the idea that this is all the practice you should do every day and no more, as there are other things I normally like to do as well if I have time (Clarke's Setting-up Drills, Colin flexibilities, Maggio, Thibaud, Arban, etc.) Any thoughts much appreciated...[HR][/HR]1. 1 1

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Shunt!

Claude Gordon's material is best studied with a person that studied under Claude, but a smart trumpet player can make it work to their advantage. I really like the range studies at the beginning of Smith's Top Tones for the Trumpeter. The etudes are (in my opinion [no IMHO with me...sorry]) Arban taken up a notch.

When working for high notes on the cheap, transpose Arban up an octave. Fun stuff!

3. Shunt

Shunt New Friend

Mar 11, 2011
    UK
    Thanks VB, I'd forgotten about Smith's Top Tones.

Any other thoughts from people?

4. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I might also suggest checking out the following: Power Legit Trumpet Studies

I studied with the author back in my college days. Gordon Stump is retired now, but was a great teacher and an even better player. His method really helped my range and endurance.

5. Shunt

Shunt New Friend

Mar 11, 2011
    UK
    Thanks Greg

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Maybe you can get some SKYP lessons with a Gordon devotee.

7. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Try www.purtle.com He maintains a list of former Gordon students and teaches on-line (Skype?)

8. Shunt

Shunt New Friend

Mar 11, 2011
    UK
    thanks Ed, will have a look at that. any Claude Gordon students or guys who have had lessons with Gordon students?

9. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I've been taking lessons with Bruce Haag, a 14 year direct student of Claude Gordon. I'd highly recommend him. He played with Stan Kenton, Elvis, and several others for years. He offers lessons via Skype. As for Systematic Approach, I take two weeks for each lesson. During those two weeks, I'll work part I and II of the SA lesson, one or two lessons from Daily Trumpet Routines, an entire Clarke Technical study with etude, and then some etudes and or jazz studies.

I'm a comeback player, after taking 20+ years off the horn. CG's approach has really helped me, but be warned it is NOT a quick process. You'll likely need to learn to tongue in an all new way (Modified K-Tongue). However, I've found it much easier and cleaner. Also, due to the fact that I practice the Clarke studies in four different modes (one week each of single, K, double tongue and a week of slurred) I've made great strides in my articulation. Range, tongue arch, etc. come slower but I do see progress.

Mark

P.S. - you can find Bruce at http://www.brucehaag.com

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  10. Shunt

Shunt New Friend

Mar 11, 2011
    UK
    Great, thank you Mark :)