Help with cornetto

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Clarino J, Dec 30, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Holding a Zink is a challenge. It takes time to get comfortable. They make those small acorn mouthpieces just to keep the embouchure development equally slow. :evil:

In all the research that I have done, I have discovered old instruments but no original mouthpieces. I am pretty sure that most cornetto makers had, like modern trumpet companies, their own mouthpiece recipes. I use a Moeck acorn mouthpiece made of brass. It is about 7C diameter but has a deep acorn cup.

2. Kang-Ling

Kang-Ling Mezzo Piano User

Oct 8, 2009
    Frigiliana
    ...Moeck seems not to produce anymore Cornetts, etc. ..
    let´s see, if I can find a mouthpiece with a enough big diameter ....

something else:
    I heard very good reviews about the method "How to play the Cornett" , (Jeremy West - Susan Smith) !!??

I only have "Spielanleitung für Zinken" (Helmut Mönkemeyer), which has some nice music examples but practically no technical explanations ....

...anyway: with 54 years trying to play this difficult horn is maybe a little crazy...!?
    (I have no special ambition with this Zink: but if I can play some Monteverdi tunes with my wife (a Japanese keyboard-player) I´ll be satisfied...)

..just some insight of an other lip-vibrated wind instrument...
    (just looking at this "historical articulations", like le re le re instead of ta ku ta ku is very interesting and gives some ideas to practice also on the trumpet. some of this articulations remind me of Clark Terry´s flugelhorn-playing ..)

finally : I find it a little confusing, that on some sites (specially english ones) , they call the cornett in A , cornett in G (!), I know you can easely lipping down to G, but the instrument is in A !)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011