Help with flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by thebuilder38, Apr 2, 2009.

1. thebuilder38

thebuilder38 New Friend

Feb 6, 2009
    I have an eighties flugel, I had it replated it came back with a wad of solder betwween the third valve casing and the bell pipe. Isn't that supposed to be a brace? are there supposed to be brces on the other valves as well? If you know please let me know or send me a picture!
    Thanks,
    Tim

Sorry Its BAch Strad. 183 model/ I out it on my first post but it never went up! I 99.999% sure that that wad of solder was not there before, I would have noticed it!!!!! I think the guy is full of it!!!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    It would help to know what make/model flugel you have, and pics of the brace in question...

Just a tip if you want some help! Lots of different flugels made in the 80s.

3. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    How big is the gap between the bell mount and the valve casing? I have a 1935 vintage Mahillon Flugel that was done the same way. If the gap is too small...there may not have been enough room for a brace to fit so they simply used solder. Seems like a cheap way to finish it out......and was never 100% sure my Mahillon was supposed to be that way or not, but it may be the way it came.

As said by Martin....it is probably best to know what brand we're talking about, to get some actual comparisons.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is a very popular way to build flugelhorns (and some trumpets) and has no sonic disadvantage.

Your post makes me think that you are not sure how the instrument was BEFORE plating.......................