Help with Haydn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Edvard22, Nov 8, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    This is the answer as far as I'm concerned.
    You will get to play a small section. I would be surprised if you even got to play a small section of both movements.

If you are able to pick the piece, I would have picked a different one. If you want to know the reasons I will tell you. I don't want to hijack your thread without permission

2. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Do you think you use quite a bit of mouthpiece pressure? If so, you can learn to use a little less of it in a couple weeks. You just simply try to press the mouthpiece less as you play (you don't have obsess over it and think of it ALWAYS, just from time to time), and chances are you will start using less pressure and allowing your air and support to take of more of the work. Of course, ON YOUR AUDITION don't intentionally pull your lips away from the mouthpiece more than what is natural at that time. =P

Also, take it easy the day before the audition.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  3. Edvard22

Edvard22 New Friend

Jun 28, 2010
    Sorry its taken me so long to respond, i've been a bit busy. So, the audition was today and it went pretty well. I nailed the scales and did pretty well on the second movement and the sight reading. But.... while playing the first movement my lips quit on the run at the bottom of the first page. To answer some of your earlier questions (even though it doesnt matter at this point), i practiced for an hour every day, with about 45 minutes of that being scales. And its not like i just started practicing two weeks before the audition. No, i couldnt have picked a different piece, this one was assigned. I got lucky this year in that he did skip around a little (last year i had to play the entire piece including the d.c. al fine), and he didnt make me play a cadenza. And i do take lessons from a very good teacher. As for my attitude going into the lesson; i just resigned myself to the fact that i probably wouldnt make it and it made it much easier. (the old, no expectations and you wont be disappointed technique). And as for Markie's first post, i dont see where there was anything dumb in that statement, and i think your rude comment was uncalled for (but you did provide good tips after the comment so i guess you arent all bad). So i guess i'll stop rambling now. Thank you all for your time and suggestions. I'll gladly answer any more questions and im open to any and all suggestions.

P.s.- i'd love to practice three hours a day rowuk i really would, but i'm also maintaining a 4.2 GPA, high honors, and a class rank of 8.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

Don't change a thing. You're in a great place.

Life and trumpet playing are marathons, not sprints.

5. Mike Barkett

Mike Barkett New Friend

Nov 19, 2010
    I'm a sophomore and I've played through the whole piece minus bits and pieces o the last movement. It is a great song

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Edvard,
    sometimes life forces you to make choices. I mentioned the fact that "serious" players find more time. If you don't have the time, then you need a plan B and that is to play smarter. I have often posted that an intelligent routine is 1/3rd longtones and slurs, 1/3rd tunes and 1/3rd technical studies. Scales can be considered longtones as they can be memorized slowly. If you don't practice smart, then you take what you get.

TrickG, many school players do not have 3 hours for dedicated practice and make it because they have enough ensemble work in school to make up for it. The serious players ARE still getting enough quality time in - as you did too. An hour a day is simply not the stuff that gives you a decent Haydn concerto - even later in life. I have the Haydn coming up in the first week in January in south Germany. I have to pay my dues like anyone else!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What's your ultimate goals with the trumpet? Do you see yourself doing anything with it after High School? It's clear that playing trumpet has taken such a back seat to your academics (and that's perfectly ok, depending on how you feel about the trumpet of course) and I've always wondered about the people who want to excel on an instrument through high school, only to drop it like a bad habit after they graduate and never touch it again. I couldn't do that, and I structured my entire life around the continued ability to play music. Did I make the right choice, music over academics? (My HS grades weren't that great) Who can say - I know I've had one heck of a run and rewarding life thus far though, and I wouldn't change a thing.

8. buccinator

buccinator Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2006
    Bielefeld, Germany

Try it on Eb trumpet, perhaps it will be better and more easy.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is a high school kid who auditioned for a high school level all-state honor band:

1.) He probably doesn't have the means to access an Eb trumpet
    2.) Even if he could get his hands on an Eb trumpet, small trumpets are a different beast alogether from playing a Bb trumpet
    3.) He's already having issues with the Bb - I can't imagine that moving to an Eb would make it any easier and in fact, it would probably make things worse
    4.) Even assuming that he could get past the first 3 points, I seriously doubt if the audition adjudicators would allow him to use it due to the fact that they are expecting it to be played on Bb.

B15M likes this.
  10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Finding that extra time around the holidays will be even more challenging! Enjoy.