Help with Horn placement!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by zhold67, Oct 11, 2012.

1. zhold67

zhold67 New Friend

Mar 20, 2011
    Ft. Thomas, KY
    Hello TM! My name is Zach and this is my first time posting here! I'm sixteen years old and had a quick question about horn placement. Is there any problem with playing the horn slightly to the right on your lips? Like not dead center? I've been playing like this for as long as i can remember (for about 4 years now) and i was wondering if it is holding me back or not. I do have a gap between my to front teeth and idk if that has anything to do with it. feedback would be nice! THANK YOU!

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hey Zach.

Welcome to TM.

I'm a comeback player, played for 20 years, took 15 years off, and now back again.

This question come up periodically, which is understandable. A lot of people play a little off-center. It's no big deal.

Mike

3. zhold67

zhold67 New Friend

Mar 20, 2011
    Ft. Thomas, KY
    Thank you for the response! I guess another problem I have been having is when I'm in band class or at marching band rehearsal my chops start getting tired so i end up sounding not as great. My band director says I have a very "robust" tone :p and i was just wondering is there something I could to do keep my endurance up for a whole practice or class? Thank you!

4. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
  5. zhold67

zhold67 New Friend

Mar 20, 2011
    Ft. Thomas, KY
    That's exactly how I play! Thank you for posting the video and the reply!

6. bachstradivarius

bachstradivarius New Friend

Sep 27, 2012
    KY
    Basically all I can really add is different strokes for different folks. We are all different and thusly we all play differently. If what you are doing works and sounds good then by all means keep doing it.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When endurance wains, performance falters. It's a matter of developing strength in your facial and lip muscles that eliminate this. How? You'll hear and read it time and again ... by dilgent PRACTICE over extended time!

8. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    My front tooth is not perfectly centered or even straight. It's off center and tilted to the extreme. If I do not play off center and do the smiling technique that particular tooth cuts my inner lips. I play off center because of dental structure, If I don't play off center it kills my ability to buzz.

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    On that note, I play off center because of lip damage, necessity and facial structure. But I also play big equipment, so on long gigs, I utilize the large surface area I have that is trained by using a small diameter piece and having three places I can put it and sound good. Also though, for most people this is a VERY bad idea, it just kind of happened for me though.