Help with low notes.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetguardgirl, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Trumpetguardgirl

Trumpetguardgirl New Friend

Jan 23, 2015
    Hey,

So i have been haveing problems with low notes. I can get the high notes just fine but i can't seem to get the low notes. i have know clue if its the mouth piece i have or just me. I have a 7A mouth piece. What could i do to get better?

2. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Perhaps you are playing with too much pressure. Try lots of air. Others will chime in with better answers soon.

3. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Have you tried other mouthpieces besides the 7a? I haven't heard of a 7a. Perhaps that could help.

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    It helps for me to make sure that I am breathing properly...not from my neck but from my gut...using my diaphragm to intake a large, easy, breath...relaxing my embouchure, and maybe even adjusting the proportion of upper and lower lip on the mouthpiece...and RELAX!...but I am a hack and primarily a (French) horn player... breathing properly is important for fleshing out a trumpet tone...but it is ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL TO (FRENCH) HORN PLAYING.
    I'm sure you'll get better answers. There are pros flitting about here.

5. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I doubt the problem is with your mouthpiece. You say it is a 7A. is that a Vincent Bach 7A? If so, low notes should be readily accessible. I don't know you, but I suspect the missing ingredient is practice, practice, practice. The low notes should be relaxed, full, rich, and a pleasure to hear. Don't give up

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Another thing... What are your definitions of low notes and high notes?

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I think, like other things, it just takes some practice. I would start going down to the bottom at the very beginning of the day and just work down there. Clarke #1 comes to mind for this.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    gordonfurr and edfitz --- say it ---- relaxed but good embouchure, full air, and practice ----- 7A will do fine ---- I actually use an Asymmetric mpc (and believe me when I tell you that mpc frustrated a professional military trumpet player last year at a concert when he couldn't get many notes below the staff ---

He handed me the trumpet -- and said --- SHOW ME THE LOW NOTES ---- which I did --------- it's all about finding them, and reproducing them, and it all takes time, and effort on your part ---- there are no shortcuts

9. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    I went through a major playing change the last 3 years due to dental work which resulted in my having to change my embouchure, mouthpiece and horn. At first my lower register didn't speak as well as before-learning to relax my chops more, plus spending time with Clarke, Pat Harbison, and lyrical etudes all played very softly helped bring it around (plus studying with Jay Rizzetto and Roger Ingram). Now I feel like I've come out the other side fine. Clarke is so effective when practiced slowly, softly and evenly-with a minimum of chop movement.

10. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Chase Sanborn's book entitled "Brass Tactics" is excellent, along with Roger's book....