Help with low notes.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpetguardgirl, Jan 27, 2015.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that even the really talented wind up putting in a lot of time and work - they just get bigger dividends on their investment.

2. Conn-solation

Conn-solation Pianissimo User

Jan 22, 2011
    On my way to Bearberry Ab
    The thing that helped me the most with the low notes from C to G flat below the staff are what my teacher calls "bugle slurs" starting on 2nd line G to "middle c" and go chromatically by valve combination to a C#/Gflat below the staff.

The idea was to start on the upper note, slur down to the lower note and make it POP!-no tongue- hold it for 4 beats and slur back to the top note keeping all notes in tune.

This has helped with and continues to develop the breath support required for all registers.

Worked for me--- YMMV

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is a tough concept. i find that people with "normal" talent and drive generally stick with things the longest. The truly talented are very emotional about what they do and can get knocked down, or even out more easily. How many really bright kids do you know that underachieve because they are bored with the situation? Schools are full of them.

I think that many of us teach in hopes that at least once in our career that we strike the jackpot. It takes a very special teacher that can send the student on when it is critical to do so.

In this case, there are asy things to do to identify probable cause, Then there are ways to get the necessary things done. Cyberchondria is always a danger when posting a symptom to the web. I am surprised that there hasn't been more useless hardware recommendations............

4. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    I wanted to hone in on this because it is a particularly interesting point. It is a fairly well known phenomenon in sports that the very best players...HOFers...often make terrible coaches (Isiah Thomas anyone?). I can recall very vividly the amount of kids that attended the perfomance of the Region band I was 1st chair of, with a ton of solos, and they wanted lessons from me (they want an eighteen year old kid to give lessons). I don't know how to teach how to play, I just know how to play. And that's a huge difference. There's a talent to teaching.

Edit: I realized the possible subtext of the post containing old adage: those that can't do, teach, which I think is misguided in a way. I propose that it is those that can do can't necessarily teach.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Even very good teachers need to have a clear picture of what is best for the student. If the kids are really hot, they need gigs that move them forward. If the teacher can't provide that, they need to move on to someone else who CAN help. Not everything is learned in a private studio.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Trumpetguardgirl, you might want to take a look at how open your mouth is while playing. If the molars are touching while playing, this is a "bad thing" pretty much all around, but especially with low notes. Try dropping your jaw some, and practice in the low register; try to get the low notes to "bark."

Hope this helps!

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Great point.

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I'd recommend Bob Woodson's "Low Note Excellence for the Studio Trumpet Player" (Bob was a well known LA Studio player and his excellent low note playing can be heard on the soundtracks like 'Jaws'. Danny 'Ruff' Hodgins was another excellent low note player known for his 4th chair work with Woody Herman in the 60s. He went on to form the jazz/fusion band 'Subterranean'.

You might also contact somebody who specializes in low note playing for a lesson. Nick Lynderson out in Vegas, Ray Venetian in Ohio and others offer their services in this area. (tongue firmly in cheek)

bigtiny

9. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    Yeah ... I think they also underachieve (or are afraid of trying their very best) because they may have acquired a reputation for simply "being smart" as opposed to working hard -- and they don't want to risk that status by trying something that they aren't sure they can do. That's the whole problem with complimenting a kid's effort and hard work instead of their smarts. The latter can be dangerous, especially in a society that believes that one either is smart or isn't, as opposed to believing that that smarts are something that can be acquired through effort.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm the KING of low notes -- my community band conductor (a trumpet player -- and retired band teacher) flat out told me one day ------ "you can't write music that has the low G and the low F# for trumpets, because nobody can play those notes" ------------------------ to which I told him with my trumpet case in hand --- "anywhere, anytime, whatever the rhythm, the volume -- let me know, I can play those notes -- anywhere, everywhere all the time" --------------------- he smiled, said, "I know", and didn't want me to show him

low notes take practice --- sure we all concentrate on high notes ----- but I will contend that the lowest notes on the horn, take persistence, concentration, and time ---this is my experience