Help with lower notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Also, try any combination of the following: using an "ahh" syllable, dropping your jaw, using more air, or experimenting with the angle of your horn (move the bell up down left right or anywhere around in circle and see if it helps... There should be one direction that helps for low notes and the other direction probably helps for high notes).

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Notes below the staff require lots of air volume --- . The aperture in the center of your lips needs to be free to vibrate and the outer corner need to be "rock solid". I think notes below the staff are NOT easy to make sound rich and full without dedicated practice ----WOW, just like the other notes ----------remember to keep the air in your lungs FULL, but NOT forced ---lots of volume of air ------and maybe opening the aperture, just a touch. it all takes time, and even a Triple Forte low F# does not come without practice.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Relax, and get the tongue the hell out of the way!

4. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    Well said ROFL

5. Doug1951

Doug1951 New Friend

Dec 23, 2011
    North Carolina
    Etiennse I sure shouldn't be jumping into this conversation.....There are many more experienced and qualified people in this forum for you to learn from.....As my avatar info up there indicates I am new to TM like you......But unlike you...I've already been where you are...and went through 9 years of public school band with some private lessons ( a few) during which I played 1st chair trumpet....1st chair Baritone....and 1st chair french horn....for whatever that's worth.....Then laid it down went to college got married and raised a family.....
    And now...40 years later...I feel deserving to pick up something I love again and give it the attention I always wanted to.....I'm playing a old Conn Director cornet...a Blessing Artist cornet..and a King 600 which I purchased recently......and got a King trombone on the way.......

Now....to address your thread.......You evidently have found something similar to a comfort range of notes that work......to some degree for you......so anywhere you want to go with your horn above or below that range you got to work on.......I think you already see from the posts here for every post you get you gonna get somewhat different suggestions or an amen.

The fact is........as has been revealed to me through playing again and studying this forum and others....plus my past experience playing you may need to do something my old band director told me a long time ago........quit thinking......and play.....and play......and play......and play......and play......until you get it.....and when you get it...then lurn how to transition into it from the range you are already comfortable with.....Once you feel it......you know where you got to go.....and you just got to go there over and over........kinda sounds like practicing huh......smiles

We all know........you can take a 4" blade of grass and hold one end with your right thumb and index finger........and the other end with your other thumb and index finger while cupping your ahnds together......and if you pull with the right pressure.......and hold your lips just right.......blow the air just right......across that blade of grass......you gonna make it buzz.......you gonna create a sound..........We can all tell you you can do it.......even show you how by doing it ourselves.....but you got to hold.......feel the tension.........turn it just the right way..........blow it just the right way.........until..............you feel it.......happen.........and at that instant.....you got ot plug it into your memory..........and the best way to do that is to lay that blade of grass down......pick it up......and do it over and over.......until it becoems almost second nature.......
    Then........you can start looking for different widths of grass........other blades of grass (horns, mouthpieces, and that kind of crap.....laffin) to play sounds that you might even like better......

But to start...you got to relax..........feel..........experiment........change your lips...and your tongue.....and your airflow...........and your grip and pressure.........to find........that beginning point......that sound.......you are searching for.......

You got to find a way to make love "with" that horn.....hold it......feel it......touch it.......search for what works.......for you.......and that horn and that mouthpiece........

Dont be afraid to make sounds that arent what your looking for......and hold them......then use all those thing.......lips....tongue........air.........pressure to lips......and change those bad sounds into good ones........

OK........I'm done............but just so you know........Your age (seemingly) and your apparant postion on the ladder of experience......moved me to tell you something I wish an old fart had told me a longgggggggggggg time ago.......

But then........at that time...........I probly woulda had just as short of an attention span as yours.....and a lack of patience for such snile advice as this.......laffin.........

Best of luck to you on your musical journey..........(luck you will have to amke for yourself.)

Got to go now..........I gotta practice.........laffin

6. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I think that you got to do some long notes starting above the D say G.. and work your way down use air, back off and listen to what you are doing and concentrate on a good tone nice and relaxed and play piano
    WHen I say listen find the center of the note ..........you will hear the diff
    find some someone to listen to you maybe a good teacher...................THERE SAID ONCE AGAIN TEACHER

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Long tones and lip slurs.

When you can lip slur easily down to those low notes, they get to sounding better. Long tones of a half a minute give you some time to mess with the notes, to make them sound better.

If that fails, get a better trumpet. (just kidding.)

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wait a minute!! -- what did you say??? and when you talk, do you keep your tongue out of the way???? -- or is it the vehicle that provides you with your oratory skills???? The tongue is always there (in the mouth preferably) --- get it out of the way???? --- Next you are going to tell "arched-tongue" stories about increasing your high note range --- just by using the tongue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

AIR GM, AIR!!!!!!! wait a minute OP -- if you were to play sounds (ie. pedal tones) below the low F# --- you would need lots, and lots of air --- and freely vibrating lips ------ and where is your tongue??? still in your mouth, taking up space!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No... but when I kiss, I do... and the low notes follow... Ohhhhh, ohhhh... ohhhhh... I am not talking about talking, I am talking about playing low notes on the trumpet. So OP think kissing and "getting low" and get the tongue the hell out of the way... just think you are getting ready to accept hers... and the low notes WILL follow.

Can't argue with this logic. Lower notes do take some more air to maintain.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    look at that ------------GM and KT agree on one point!!!!!!!!!!! ------------such unequivical harmony in the trumpet world --- is ---- rather PRICELESS!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL