Help with lower notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Sem, playing the notes below C borders on resetting the embrouchure for beginners. Drop jaw slightly, parts lips more ever so slightly....then let your ear tell your embrouchure what to do. Experiment. Slurring down to F# is easier than tonguing your way there.

2. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    I may have missed it but I don't think anyone asked what size mouthpiece you are using Etiennse. In my experience it is easier to play the notes below middle C with good tone if you use a larger cup mouthpiece. I use a Schilke 17 and Bach 1 C most of the time and they both allow me to play big, full, great toned low notes. But, when I use the pee shooter mouthpiece (Yamaha 14a4a) that many recommend for lead playing or the Bach 1 E I have for piccolo trumpet I have a lot of trouble keeping good tone with the lower notes.

I agree with many of the comments already mentioned. Here are my thoughts:

Long tones -- I would start with the 2nd line G and play long tones all the way down to the low F# and try to maintain the same quality of tone through all these notes. I would do this every day in warm up and warm down.

Lip slurs from middle register to low register

Pivot of the mouthpiece on lips - someone mentioned this earlier...for me, going to lower notes is easier with a slight pivot up (bell of horn going up)... this is a very small amount just to let the lower lip move more freely.

Warm air - Someone mentioned playing with Ah vowel sound...this helps warm up the air and gives a "warmer" tone.

Pedal tones -- help get your lips loose and get them used to playing low

More than anything else -- play in low register a lot in warm up, practice, and warm down...and, do it every day.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Like this?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not exactly what I had in mind, but it may work. Gives a whole new perspective on double tonguing as well!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Well - YES - in a matter of speaking. I can use my big Bach 3C, and it is definitely easier to get low notes --- I use another mpc which is for 98% of what I play, and it was difficult to get the low notes clear, loud, and full, and beautiful. BUT I think it is important to Etiennse to "learn" how to use the mpc he has got and get the whole range of his trumpet -- and all the sound. I am NOT necessarily disagreeing with using a bigger mpc -- but I am convinced that any mpc can be used to reach low notes --- and make them sound good --- given enough practice time ((the contrary opinion is also valid --- you can use any mpc to get the high range also -- given enough practice time)) - I AM A FIRM believer in NOT SWITCHING MPCs everytime you encounter a problem, but rather work them out with what you got. IMHO

6. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    I definitely agree that you shouldn't switch mouthpieces a lot. I use one 98% of the time. The point I was making is that the size of Etiennse' mouthpiece may be part of the reason he is having trouble with low notes (type of mouthpiece adding to the change in tone quality).

I also agree that you need to learn to work with whichever mouthpiece you use for majority of playing. There will be a difference in sound for low notes if you are using a big cup mouthpiece as opposed to a shallower cup but with practice they both can sound good -- just different.

7. shofar-blast

shofar-blast New Friend

Mar 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    I seriously doubt this person plays trumpet. Although this might be handy for those who play two trumpets at once.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Now that has some interesting possibilities.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There are a number of things that you could be doing wrong. Do you have a teacher? what do they say?

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Sem Etienne has an Accent 3C and a Benge 7C that I sent to him. Neither one may be big enough for him to get good low tones. A Schilke 20C or a Bach 5V will get your lower notes easier and fuller. It depends on your lips too. I have thin lips and can get good tone through very shallow mouthpieces like Schilke 13a4a,6a4a,Al Hirt Jet-Tone, etc.. I know a lot of guys with fuller lips that use much bigger cups to get good tone throughout the registers. Sem will find a mouthpiece that works for him I think. It'll be like turning a light on.