Help with Makam!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HliasVlantonopoulos, Dec 3, 2014.

1. HliasVlantonopoulos

HliasVlantonopoulos New Friend

Nov 30, 2014
    Hi all, and thanks for my acceptance into the forum! I'm a bouzouki player and trumpeter living in Volos, Greece, and I''ve been struggling with makam. I play both pre-war rebetika and some northern Greek traditional folk music, which are both based on the "dromoi" or "roads' (essentially the Greek treatment of makam) so I have some knowledge of makam theory, but I've been having trouble coming up with musical phrases which sound authentic to me. I bought Murad Ayedemir's "Turkish Makam Guide" which illustrates quite of few Turkish Makams along with their overall melodic directions and notes of secondary and tershiary importance, but I still feel like when I play a taksim I'm just blowing a lot of hot air, rather than playing anything meaningful. I have been simplifying the micro-tones into western chromatics, as is dones quite frequently in Greek music, and I realize that might be my big error, but playing the Turkish microtones has proven pretty difficult for my skill level.

Can anyone reccomend any trumpeters who play traditional makam? I'm farmiliar with Ibrahim Maaloof and Amir ElSaffar, but they're a bit fusion for what I'm looking to learn. Does anyone have any advice for listening or playing?

Thanks so much!

2. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Welcome to the forum, sir!

I sincerely hope someone can assist you, but I must say that in every sense of the idiom, your post was all Greek to me.