Help with modern duets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Jul 21, 2011.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey Guys,

Could any of you recommend any modern duet books for my son and I? He is a HS sophmore and plays well for his age -can handle most of Rubank Advanced. I'm working with him on such, but try to reward technical practice with some more fun stuff to play. I remember thinking technical stuff of my private tachers was boring, but enjoying playing more modern myself.

Son is complaining that all my books aren't very interesting (old stuff -Burt Kamfert duets, 101 Popular Songs (from 60's 70's). In other words, to a kid of today-BORING.

All the stuff I have dates to the 50's-70's. I sort of checked out of the music world after that until now and really don't even know what is considered a bit modern in the trumpet music world. If anyone has any suggestions regarding duet books, please share your recommendations. I'd rather buy something with a recommendation than take a stab sight unseen over ebay. Also, if you know where there are any free downloads, PDF', please share. Thanks in advance.

2. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    The Bud Brisbois' Jazz Trumpet Duet Book may not really be "modern" from a today's kid's point of view (since it is from 1968), but it's hot and worth a try, maybe sometime in the future.

BTW: It requires a pretty reasonable lead daddy.

You can listen to the tunes on the same site, too.

:play:

3. Maurito Sosa

Maurito Sosa New Friend

May 10, 2011
    São Paulo, Brasil
    I found on the internet a Dave McKeown compilation of duets
    They´re very jazzy, and it is beeing fun trying out some of them with my teacher.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Just a thought, but are you so sure that it's that he thinks those duets are boring or not interesting, or is it that he's just not cracked up on playing with dear old Dad? I don't mean it as a slight - my son does the same thing with me. We could be jamming all the time with him on guitar and me on drums, but it's just not interesting to him - not because of the music, but more because I don't think he wants to jam out with me.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  6. Adrian Perger

Adrian Perger New Friend

Jul 11, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Modern music is too often just old songs redone with a fatter beat, or dumbed down versions of old styles (due to diminishing attention spans?). My students love playing beatles and old blues and fun swingy duets I write out. Melody and soul and good rhythm are universal. If those elements are there, then maybe he's just not feeling two trumpets, maybe put on a drum beat or something.

And I don't think I'm an old stick in the mud just yet (31) and I've played on some pretty modern recordings (glitch punk pop? :) )

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Thanks for the suggestions. Keep ‘em coming if you think of others.

Actually, my son enjoys the duets. He will come in while I am playing and ask me to get out some duets. After a few minutes of playing, his comment is usually something like ”why can’t we get something modern. This stuff sounds old.” And it is. Duet books of (then) modern songs in the 50’s-early 70’s.

Bixel –Wow. I HAD the Brisbois book (however it had a yellow cover and small plastic records in the back of Bud playing the duets) and it was great!! (though at the top of my range). Somewhere in a move about 12 years ago I lost most of my collection of music books and sheet music. Hate losing the 3 parts to Buglers Holiday and solo of Trumpeter’s Lullaby. Keep hoping I will come across a photocopy of them.

Moderator –Thanks for the recommendations for download. I’ll print them out tomorrow. They will make good sight reading for him (though I think he is hunting more “melody” stuff).

Again, thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming if anyone has other ideas. Really would like to find something like 101 Duets of Today’s Modern Hits” if such exists.

8. jtbtrumpet91

jtbtrumpet91 Pianissimo User

Jan 30, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    David Sampson has a great collection of works entitled "Notes from Faraway Places." It's about 30 pages worth of music with both solos and duets. It offers a challenge, especially in terms of meter/time, but it is definitely a departure from the early "Arban-style" duets.

I'm working through one of the solos right now, and I'm learning a lot!

9. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2007
    Florida
    Bugs Bower's "Bop Duets" - Charles Colin music, comes in one book with all three original volumes. It was originally released in the 60's I believe but was re-released in 1980. Also "Six Jazz Duets" by Lennie Niehaus, 1992 by Cojarco Music, Inc. and for something non jazz related how about "44 Duos for Trumpet" by Chris Gekker, Transition Publications from 1997. Chris draws from the styles of Bach, Stravinsky, Samuel Barber and others.