Help with Shakes...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, Jul 9, 2014.

1. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    Hi all,

I have been really trying to nail 'shakes' down for the past few weeks and i just don't seem to be getting the concept.
    I understand the concept, and know they are a bit advanced, but so much of the music i enjoy playing really relies on them to colorize the tune a bit.

To date, the only exercise I have been given is Arbans Slurring/Legato studies #22.
    Any other exercises, tips, tricks, etc are greatly appreciated.

J

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Work on the Harmonic slurs in Arbans Ex.22 - page 44 - work with a metronome and record your daily speed.
    You are working at the right exercise, just keep with it.

If you use your shake on the Harmonics it makes it more severe and effective.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Stopping the drinking usually gets my patients to have the shakes.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously, less the pressure on the mouthpiece then alternate vibration between the upper and lower lip. Don't shake the horn, that hurts!

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    There's a Charles Colin lip Flexibility book that has exercises for lip trilling like in the example below:

[​IMG]

I found that improving my lip trills made it much easier to shake.

Could work for you.

motteatoj likes this.
  6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Not to disagree with the good Doctor G, but as Wilmer Wise says, "It's called a shake, shake the thing."

Watch at 11 seconds, and again at the 1:00 mark. Mike Williams, 28 years as the Count Basie lead player. Mike plays plays melodically over double C and has some of the best shakes in the business.

Subbing a tune in my band....................
    I shake the horn also. Shakes should NOT sound like lip trills, completely different sound is wanted.

7. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    yup, that is exactly what i am after, and yes, very different from trills.
    my whole goal in my late trumpet playing life is to play old New Orleans style music well.
    Armstrong shakes, and modern day....Kermit Ruffins shakes are the one of the last pieces of the pie.

8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    All the exersizes leading up to the page posted from the Charles Colin lip flexibilities book above are what helped me dial them in. Start slowly, be as accurate as possible, and get a sense of how the air needs to move, as well as the shape of the oral cavity. Make them faster gradually, and before you know it you've got a shake!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find it easiest when you are standing NEXT to someone that can shake. Then your whole body is attached to the experience.

All of this intellectual energy for understanding in the cloud is SOOO much more work........

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Diabetic episodes, up or down, give me the "shakes" / tremors.