Help with spelling "Pilchek"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I am looking for the correct spelling of a company that made lead pipes with the "stairs" inside. It is pronounced "PILL CHICK", but I have tried every spelling I can think of and can't find any information on these lead pipes. I had a few given to me today to try on my piccolo, but would really like to get some information via the web somehow. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Help?! :?:

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    LOL. No Zottola mouthpiece for me! I remember those from my high school days. LOLOLOL. Actually, the website where you guided me is where I was today...hee, hee. I forgot to ask Rich how to spell the darn thing. I was at his shop today getting some dents taken out and he gave me four different pipes to try for kicks when I mentioned my piccolo concerns. After I am done with my trumpet diet for the day, I am going to do some experimenting with these pipes to see what happens. I didn't think to look at Rich's site for the information since his main business is instrument repair. I feel like a doofus now..... :oops: Thanks again!

(I guess this means I will be stripped of my Dr. Alex title, eh? LOL)

4. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Dr.,

Let us know what you think of the pipes. He has some interesting things on his site.

He had a A and a Bb pipe for you to try huh? You remember if he makes Schilke pipes too? A Swiss friend sent me a SPADA pipe to try and I really like it.

Keep us posted Alex.

Rogerio

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, he has both A and Bb pipes. He gave me all four A pipes, but no Bb because I RARELY use the Bflat side and didn't ask. LOL. He has them for Schilkes as well. He had quite a selection, but I guess that is to be expected since he took over the business. I will keep you posted once I give them a try. It might be tomorrow before I get around to it though.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Alex, your next task is to write "Marcinkiewicz" without looking. :twisted:

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hardy har har Toots....'tain't happenin'! LOL. M.....Muh.....Muh......oh, forget it.

Chuck's post was the first time I saw "Pilczuk" in writing. Up until today, I only heard it spoken. I had no idea how it was spelled...... :cry: Rich is from the Chicago area, but has lived here a long time and his assistant is from the south. With the different accents and my Yankee ears, I honestly could not figure out how it was spelled. I am just a measly orchestra nerd....I know how to spell all the composer names as well as Bach, Yamaha and Monette. ;-) I never was much of an equipment juggler. The most jumping around I have ever done has been in the past six months. LOL. It's one of those times in my life where lots of things are changing and shifting. Luckily I have a nice, strong surfboard.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Alex wrote:
    Here ya go girl!

[​IMG]

-cw-

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's an interesting name to be sure. I've always heard it pronounced "Pill-Zuk" - is that right?

When I first started playing on a Marcinkiewicz mouthpiece years ago in HS (mid 80s) I'd tell some people what it was and they would inevitiably say something like "Mar-whata-what?"

And then there was the day that my former boss and I went out to lunch. His last name is Mundschenk, but there was a wait at the restaurant and when the waitress asked his name he said "Jones". After she had gone I looked at him with a quizzical expression and he said, "What? Did you think I was going to tell her Mundschenk?" :D

Sorry - just had to share that. :-)

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I have a dear friend whose last name is Leibundguth! She always just says "Leib" if she puts her name down at restaurants where they call your name when your order's ready.

I've heard Loreeno, Lorehno, Luriano, Loriayno, and once recieved an order for something I'd sent for and it was spelled thusly:

Lawureance.

ML