Help with spelling "Pilchek"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I went to school with a young man (and fine trumpeter) with the last name of "Quackenbush". Being trumpet players, we relentlessy messed with his name. I don't know if he reads these boards, but I just want to thank him for all of the laughs we had at the expense of his last name.

And Q, if you're around these forums, say hello!

I just remembered...my upstairs neighbor and good friend in Belgium had one heck of a last name - Vanhaverbeke. Say that fast three times.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I worked with a fellow from Lithuania whose name was Harold (Harry) Schwanze.
    He was always teased unmercifully and finally went to court and legally changed his name....to Arnholdt!

He told me he would never consider changing his last name and insulting his family.

-cw-

3. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I once sold a horn to a student and instead of my actual last name, Gunderson, the check was written to "Gundstiome." It was "fun" trying to get the bank to accept it!

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I usually heard Gene pronounce his name: PILT-SIK Sometimes he didn't say the T very strongly and it sounded like PILL-ZIK.

It is spelled Pilczuk. He was of Polish descent.

Gene called them "steps". Stairs or steps are called scale in Italian. In musical terms we also translate scale to mean scales in English.

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you much Brian, et al. I GOT IT NOW! I GOT IT! Yes, I feel like a total doofus. :lol: I sure learned a lot about Mr. Pilczuk though!

There is something in the water in Brooklyn that can cause serious mispronounciations now and then. This was one of my moments I guess. LOL. You can take the girl out of Brooklyn, but you can't take Brooklyn out of the girl.

LONG LIVE THE SWEATHOGS!

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Lots of people mistakenly pronounce his name the way that you did Alex. Don't sweat it. :-)

Maybe it's a result the result of having so many players from the former Yugoslavian states in the NBA.

One more thing about Gene is at that near the end of his life he accepted Jesus as his Saviour. It sure cut down on his rather colorful way of speaking.

7. Jim Wilson

Jim Wilson New Friend

Mar 14, 2006
    Alex,

Maybe I missed something but I'm thinking you lost your "'round tu-it". I did a search for Pilczuk to see if anybody had any experience with them on this forum and found this thread. I don't see that you posted a reply about your trial of the Pilczuk leadpipes. If you did, I'd love to hear what you thought of them.

Thanks,

Jim

8. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Yeah, I'd like to hear the results as well. I'll be shipping off my tuning slide Thursday or Friday to Rich so that he can measure it for a set of trial leadpipes.

Bill