Help with tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nchsbandrocks10, Oct 30, 2009.

1. nchsbandrocks10

nchsbandrocks10 New Friend

Feb 27, 2009
    Reno, NV
    I've been playing trumpet for almost 6 years and I've never really liked my tone. I don't really know how to work on it. Anyone have any suggestions or exercises I can do that will help? Thanks! :play:

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Lots and lots of soft easy playing and long tones. Then use the sound that develops when you play everything else.

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    And find a good local teacher to give you weekly guidance and can assess just why you're not happy with your tone. There are so many possible causes for a poor tone that it's impossible for people on a forum such as this to offer more than general suggestions such as Coomer's excellent suggestion which may or may not actually help you.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Here's something you might want to try.
    Play long tones and imagine (yes, imagine) the sound growing out from your body.
    You want to imagine the sound getting fat out from your body. Not loud but fat.

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    What kind of music do you normally play?

There is a big difference between "marching band" and "hymn" styles.

I'm asking this because it could be easier to give some relevant advice
    if we knew what style your present style is, and what kind of tone you actually want.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you can,get some recordings of different trumpet players and pick the sound, tone, you most admire and try to imitate it.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The only way to improve your tone is to experience first hand better. Find a duet buddy with a much nicer tone than yours, get a teacher to help.

DIY without a live model just will not work. Retuning your ears cannot be done with a CD or fantasy.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    A chain is only as good as the weakest link.

That saying applies to so much of trumpet playing. There is so much that goes into what kind of sound comes out. Then the question comes up, what is a good sound?

Someone above gave advice on how to get a better sound. I know what would happen if you follow that advice because it's what I do. Maybe you hate my sound?

Your trumpet can contribute and your mouthpiece can be a big factor. Your body and idea of how to play the trumpet is a huge factor.

Give us some more information about you.

What kind of sound do you want?
    Is there a player that you want to sound like?
    What mouthpiece do you use?
    What trumpet do you play on?
    Do you try to relax when you play?
    Do you put a lot of air through the trumpet?
    Do you push the air?
    Are you an edgy type of player? (behind the beat, "I'm the man type" or ahead of the beat "leading the charge")

Even if you don't answer these questions here, think about them when you practice.

9. nchsbandrocks10

nchsbandrocks10 New Friend

Feb 27, 2009
    Reno, NV
    thanks guys!
    i'm going to answer alot of your questions here.

i am currently playing marching band but i'm also playing concert band. my tone really doesn't change much between the two seasons.

What kind of sound do you want? a dark sound. not very bright
    Is there a player that you want to sound like? i really like my best friend's sound
    What mouthpiece do you use? 3C
    What trumpet do you play on? a King
    Do you try to relax when you play? generally, yes. there are some times that i am tense.
    Do you put a lot of air through the trumpet? no. :\
    Do you push the air? i dont really know how. no one ever taught me
    Are you an edgy type of player? i'm usually dragging.

oh, and i do have a private tutor.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    See below