help with trills

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by music matters, Jan 28, 2005.

1. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Dear Manny,

How do you approach learning to trill well over the difficult boundaries on the trumpet such as C to D in the staff and G to A above the staff etc.

I have just been playing them very slowly with semiquavers (sixteenth notes) until I get it right consistently, and then move up one speed on the metronome. I am using alternative fingerings on the G to A (1+3 and 3 respectively - is this OK?) to reduce the interval and can now do this to 16th notes at mm = 138. I am making progress but it seems very slow.

Is there any approach I should be doing to improve my progress? The two pieces I am working on at the moment that require this are Haydn's Trumpet Concerto and Arban's Carnival de Venice. I would appreciate your advice on this,

Graham.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Graham,

Our friend, James Smock, wrote in with virtually the same question. I have a feeling people are playing this piece because of many assorted auditons coming up. At any rate, look up the thread, "Challenging Trill" and you'll see the converstaion we had about his very matter.

If the answers don't help write in again but we're hoping the "TM vibe" will get you through.

ML

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    What is the difference between a trumpet player and a seamstress? :dontknow:
    The seamstress knows how to tuck up the frills. :lol:

(With sincerest apologies to Manny and all you great folks who can actually hit the required note exactly at the right time with the right intonation, attack, dynamic and style.... the more I listen to orchestral music the more I am impressed by the skill of MOST orchestral trumpet players...and I really mean that.)

Now I'll be good and shut up and listen to Manny's response.

4. music matters

music matters Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2004
    ON Canada
    Thanks Manny. I should have searched before I asked! I am playing it with a "teeee" so I will try "tooo" and see how I get on.

Graham.