HELP!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by ScreaminTrumpet, May 17, 2004.

1. ScreaminTrumpet

ScreaminTrumpet New Friend

Feb 25, 2004
    Lubbock, TX
    All Right Guys.

Here's my situation. I recently sustained some damage to my main horn. The bell got crimped a little. I recieved a payment from my insurance company that would pay for some customization and the replacement of the bell. Did the bell HAVE to be replaced....no....but why not. After some consideration and dragging of feet by my repair guy, I have started to wonder if I should just have the wrinkle rolled out of the bell and get rid of it. I know that even with a few "scars" I could get around 900 for my horn. I have just about decided that I want to upgrade to something else. In ways, I feel I am slightly inhibited by my horn. I would LOVE to get a hold of an Eclipse MR, a WT (yes, I'm signed up for the tour), a Callet Jazz, a Calicchio, an Edwards Gen III, or maybe a Schilke X4. Basically BIG horns, but horns that could be versatile. Advice?

2. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    Which horn was it that got damaged? That might help with any advice?

I would be more willing to sell the '99 for money to go toward a custom horn than the '65.

3. ScreaminTrumpet

Feb 25, 2004
    Lubbock, TX
    It was the '99 that was damaged. The '65 will NEVER be sold. EVER.

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    You've already got another strad, so why not treat yourself to something more expensive if you've got the cash?

I would!

Jack.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    What Jack said: if you can handle the price why not an Eclipse MR "Bb or C"? Leigh tells me he's sold another MR-C recently and I suspect that his products will be "taking off" once ITG occurs. Remember that he doesn't distinguish between Bb, C, or flugel IN ADDITION TO the restoration work that he does. "First in, first out". Right now his order book is "getting kinda full" so the longer you wait, the longer you're going to HAVE to wait!

I can add my voice to those who love the MR bell as being the "cat's whiskers" (I'd normally use a different descriptor but this is a family site).

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Personally, I'd love a MY-C - gorgeous thing!

7. ScreaminTrumpet

Feb 25, 2004
    Lubbock, TX
    I'm really looking for a horn that will be versatile. Most of what I play is legit or solo, though I do have the opportunity to play commercial at times. I need a horn that I will be able to adapt to fit a situation. I have NEVER heard a bad thing about Eclipse horns. If I could find one "used" it would be great. Does anyone have any ideas that pertain to anything besides the Eclipse? Obviously that horn and the Edwards are going to be the most expensive.

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That is the problem with good horns, they rarely sell on the secondary markets. If people starting dumping them after owning them for a short period, you would have to wonder why. Go on eBay and you will see tons of Monette mouthpieces being sold at half the price they were paid for. I guess if you are not going to use it, getting some of your money back is a good thing. It just amazes me how many Monette mouthpieces are for sale on eBay most weeks.

If Eclipse horns starting showing up there a lot, you would have the same feeling. Occasionally, someone sells one because they need the money. OK. But still they are rare on the secondary markets.

M&C

9. ScreaminTrumpet

Feb 25, 2004
    Lubbock, TX
    All Right.

I have decided that I am, in fact, going to get a new horn. The bell order for my other horn has been canceled. Just going to have my repair friend roll it out...etc. Since posting yesterday, I have refined my list a little bit. I have come to the conclusion that there is no way, barring blind charity or something, that I will be able to get an Eclipse or Edwards right now. Maybe someday...... My list now boils down to a Callet Jazz, a WT, possibly a Calicchio, or a Schilke. I know that all of these horns would work well as "crossover" horns. I also know that I can buy them for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1800-$2400. Any more ideas? I am planning on trying to get over to Tulsa and visit Calicchio possibly. I have played a Jazz. The only thing is the WT and the Schilke. I don't know that I'm going to be next in line on the WT tour anytime soon. Maybe? Who knows? I would like to know from people that have either owned one of these, or had extensive exposure what they think. Thanks in advance.

Josh

10. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    If you go to FL, I wanna tag along! I could use a vacation. You should also try out a Zeus man. It's a kewl horn that works well for me and it's price is a lil lower than those others... Just a thoght. Peace.

Bear