HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Manny Laureano, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    We, at the Minnesota Orchestra, have been tearing our hairs out trying to remember the name of the guy that recorded the famous instrumental version of "Cherry Pink" with the long glisses! We have "googled" the hell out this song and can't find the right one.

It's driving the entire brass section nuts. What's the name, PLEASE?!

ML

2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Perez "Prez" Prado?

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sheesh.... now you've done it... my "ear worm" is instantly working overtime (I probably won't get it out of my head all day!) Darned if I can remember who did it though.

4. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    HELP - the Deluxe Gladstone case

Manny,
    The Prez Prado Orchestra recorded the tune in 1955 but the version that I remember, and probably the one you're thinking of with all the glisses, was done by Harry James. Hope this is what you were looking for!

Butch

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Chet!

Are you kidding?! It seemed so obvious that I dismissed it as a possiblity. So, let me get this straight: the version of Cherry Pink with the big downward and upward gliss from C to C was recorded with Harry James as the soloist?

Well, shut my mouth... I thought it was a more obscure, "one-hit-wonder" type of situation.

If you're right, I thank you tremendously. If you're wrong I'm sending you the psychiatrist bills for the whole section because we will seriously go nuts if we don't get this figured out.

ML

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Is it sad that as soon as I read "long glisses" my mind instantaneously guessed that the soloist was Harry James? I've never even heard the piece...

7. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Re: HELP - the Deluxe Gladstone case

I am pretty sure it was Harry as well, I used to listen to him a lot in High School and I remember having a tape of him playing it.

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    It was Prez Prado. I will ask around about who played the solo.

Wilmer

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I just ran a search and found reference to "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" by Prez Prado with the note "Trumpet Solo Billy Regis". Might or might not be accurate.

10. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    The one Tootsall refers to was the big hit and that is the correct name of the soloist.

This one is one of those club date favorites that every player has to know. It belongs in the general business gig excerpt book (if there was such a thing) right next to the Bobby Hackett solos on In the Mood & String of Pearls.