help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Apr 30, 2009.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Ok so lately my center of my top lip is killing me, the very center no where else. I use the muscles around my chin are to play with, therefore it is no embouchural I dont think. Anyways nowhere else on my mouth hurts, except that very center of my top lip, I play once in band class which is 45-1hr uisually I go home and do 30-1hr on techquincal studies (double, triple, slurs, etc) and I wait a while and I then I go back in to practice around 7-9 that night and do endurance/range exercises, and lately my lip at the center is swollen towards my teeth, not on the visible outside. This is very annoying becasue it feels like a fat lip when I play and sometimes itll turn inside out whenever I pull all the rest of my embouchure tight. Ive lost 2 notes in range, about 5 min of endurance, and tone quality. It sucks and were havein our tryouts for symphonic right now. I started about a week ago with me trying to play abblasen, But I didnt think that was the cause. I also have solo to play at a competition this week on saturday, qucik help/ suggestion?

2. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    well not at chin but at the back of my jaw, near the ear, not the chin

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    AMT,
    you are paying the price for having beat up your face. The only answer is rest. You have applied too much pressure to your upper lip. Normally I would say a week off, but that doesn't look like an option.

If you have your solo really DOWN, I would say don't play more than 30 min./day for the next 3 or 4 days. If not, you will pay the price for having overdone it. There is no quick fix.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree with Rowuk, too much pressure and you have beat yourself up.

5. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I had to play a circus gig once in college. We did 6 2+ hour shows in 3 days. (1 Fri, 3 Sat, & 2 Sun) The ONLY way I got through that weekend was vitamin E caplets. I'd poke them with a straight pin & spread the oil all over my lips. Not very pretty looking, but it seemed to help. Other than that I'd say some COOL compresses for short periods of time in the evening.

I will say I agree with Robin that REST is the only "quick fix", but it's not all that quick unfortunately. GOOD LUCK!!!

6. Heidi

Heidi New Friend

Mar 27, 2009
    Southeast, GA
    Definently use cold compresses. You might want to take some ibuprofen (motrin). It's an anti-inflammatory, so it might help with the swelling. Find some chap stick with vitamin E in it.

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Massaging your lips with something like ChopSaver might help. I haven't used it, but my granddaughter likes it.

8. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I finally figured it out! I was lookin at all my stuff, what i did and what I used. And I put on chop saver like ive done for the past two weeks. I looked and its said all natural, so I thought to myself hmmm whats this? I went toe internet and looked it up and sure enough I was allergic to it. So, apparently Ive been havein an allergic reaction for the past two weeks to my own chap stick, I never figured it was that. Sorry bout this mix up. Thanks for the responses. Though I am now full of this bynedryl stuff ha ha, and the swelling is almost down to normal

9. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Im gonna stick to the Blistex stuff it hasnt done it to me before, so ill stay with it

10. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That sucks! But at least you know the answer now. Ya know?!