Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by catwoman, May 16, 2009.

1. catwoman

catwoman New Friend

May 13, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    I am trying to make a comeback after 20 years of not playing. Just got my getzen 700 eterna today bach 7c mouthpiece and I am in awe of how bad I sound :( lol. Any tips on getting back into shape? Would it hurt to take a few lessons again or just wing it? I played for about 15 years before putting the horn down so I am no beginner but to hear me today I would definately say I need some advice from you vets on coming back...thanks:dontknow:

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Few lesson would not only not hurt, but can get you back on track...Well, your pride may get eventually hurt, but that's another story...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You played for 15 years, that means that quite a bit is still stored in your head (once you get your chops back, probably some of the old bad habits too).

My advice is to not try and go too fast. Long tones, slurs and LOTS of easy tunes (like out of the hymnbook). The firmer the foundation you lay down now, the more likely it is that you will not take ANOTHER 20 year break.

Lessons are desirable in any case. Living up to your teachers expectations is a great booster for motivation.

Keep us informed.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Rowuk gave you all the information you need to start your comeback.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If your 700 has been sitting around 15 years, it might be the horn.

Can you get a decent buzz out of the mouthpiece?
    If so, your chops are in order, if not...well it is the first day!

If it sounds ok with the mouthpiece then test the trumpet. Pull the first slide out and blow through (with the first valve depressed) to discover which part of the slide air comes through. Block that with your thumb and blow--it might be that one of the Amado water keys got stuck in the open position and leaks, or that one of the valves is out of alignment (or in the wrong casing). If the horn seems "tight," remeber, you are just starting again, so keep at it, and wait for the miracle.

Imagine an athelete who has been in a coma for 15 years--we couldn't expect a triatholon out of them right away...

Have fun, and welcome back to the trumpet!

Bachstul likes this.
  6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    S. Coomer gave you all the information you need to start your comeback; so ignore whatever everyone else says.

7. catwoman

catwoman New Friend

May 13, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    No this has not been sitting around 15 years...lol. I just got it used but I definately dont think its the trumpet. :) Thanks for the advice and I am going to get a few lessons in and go from there.