Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jmiacobucci, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Jmiacobucci

Jmiacobucci New Friend

Jun 8, 2010
    Georgia, Atlanta
    I am going on a vacation which will last roughly 7 long day! These days I cannot play my trumpet... What can I do to keep my endurance... and overall embouchure intact? I gave buzzing on my mouthpiece a thought but are there any particular exercises I should look into on the mouthpiece? I just hate not having the horn there for 7 days... Could this possibly beneficial if I buzzed daily? ( this is something I normally never do )

Thanks so much!:thumbsup:

2. Adela

Adela New Friend

Jun 11, 2010
    Hi,
    I am new here.
    It is my 3rd post.
    Thanks to all member of this forum.

3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Long tones are good on just mouthpiece. Try a Zen-like approach, ie. keep sound as pure as possible, no vibrato, don't waver pitchwise. If you are near a piano, play a pitch on piano, match that pitch, hold out for as long as possible, then see if the pitch changed by playing the pitch on the piano again.

4. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
  5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Do you gig regularly? Truthfully, I wouldn't worry about it that much. I went on a 7 day cruise last summer and didn't even bother to take a mouthpiece, much less my horn, and I had a gig the day after I got back. The day I got back, I did two shorter practice sessions where I focused on my chops focus and air flow. I did this with basic single tonguing articulation exercises. I did a nice warmup the afternoon of my gig, went to my gig the next night, (playing rock and roll horn lines for a party band - a gig that can be quite taxing) and played by bootie off, almost like I hadn't taken a week off.

Go on vacation and have it BE a vacation - don't worry about your chops. They aren't going to mysteriously evaporate just because you took a week off, and if you structure your practices right, you'll be right back in the swing of it within a week.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    What took decades to develope wont disappear in a week. You will be fine in a short time. Dont sweat the minor stuff and have a great vacation. When you get back you will be supprised at how much hasnt changed. Worst case scenerio you'l miss your baby more than she missed you!

7. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    When I was thinking about doing a 6 month hike, I was planning on bringing one of these. It's just a plastic tube of about the same diameter of a trumpet's tubing (chop it down till it's in Bb) , a funnel on the end, stick a mouthpiece in it and you're good to go.

Obviously not as good as the real thing, but I think it's a better alternative than free buzzing or mp buzzing. Though I kind of shudder to think what effects playing only on one of these for 6 months would have on the chops and your sound....

YouTube - Sunset by the Mississippi - Hoseaphonium