Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by krmanning, Sep 10, 2012.

1. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    Friday I had a couple of different horns out for practice. Two of my b-flats, my flugel, and my C. To make a long story short, the stand with my C trumpet tipped over and the horn hit the second valve slide. Yesterday when I went to play I found the valve casing must have been bent by the impact. I can get the valve out, but just barely.

How big a problem is this to repair, or did I just turn this horn into a doorstop?

Thanks.

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    A good tech should be able to fix that issue. You are definitely not the first player to have that happen...so says I (with some degree of sheepishness).

3. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Bad weekend for horns! You should be able to have that fixed no problem. I just dinged my pristine flugelhorn in a similar incident. A case fell shut and the latch hit the bell, leaving a large dent. My friend remarked that the first one is always the worst. Luckily, it's the least valuable in the stable, so I wasn't that upset. Get your horn to the shop and explain what happened with some dignity and they'll set it right for you, despite the snickering you might endure.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Good repairs and expected damage are what keeps techs in business.