Help?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LostTrumpetPlayer, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Where in his original post did he say that?

2. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Hey,

just ask a teacher. No one can tell you. Maybe your arms/shoulders get tired and get dragged down taking the horn with them.

Only thing that someone could say is that if you play a lot of high notes, you should play long notes from C below the staff down to what pedal tone you can get.

I use a breath attack to do that, I feel like it "fixes" my embouchure...

PS: why do you come to a forum for this?! Don't you have a teacher in the march band?!

3. LostTrumpetPlayer

LostTrumpetPlayer New Friend

Jun 23, 2015
    I think I just kind of panicked, I don't want to admit to anyone that I'm at this point right now because they're kind of expecting bigger things from me next year. I have at least two people in mind I could go to, but it would be about a 90 minute drive.

4. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    So what if you get wrong advice from here and get things worse than they already are?

Don't get stressed, you could play that stuff and you will again, surely. And even if you can't deliver these "bigger things" they are expecting , it's all good...maybe you'll become a great jazz trumpet player in a band, become famous, get all the ladies and the money in the world!!!

All this over analyzing that goes on about the trumpet, complicates things and makes us thing of a million things when we play. It's just a tube with 3 button and you have to blow air though that, that's it!!!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    He didn't, I did (I think that what I wrote also reflected that. If I wasn't clear enough, sorry) and I had a reason. The thread owner also confirmed my educated hunch...........

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you can switch to a lower part, you are doing yourself a BIG favor. You really just need time to get back into your "old" habits. Squeezing out a high trumpet part in your present state will only reinforce what is wrong.

Pressure and little upper lip works, for a while............

7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I seen some guys in HS doing that and after long passages they not all would have what looked to be a big red blister. I think a guy 1 time even busted his top lip fooling around squealing. Don't injure yourself!

8. LostTrumpetPlayer

LostTrumpetPlayer New Friend

Jun 23, 2015
    Update. I practiced today and just kind of put the mouthpiece at a higher placement. It felt right. My range is mostly back (I can get up to a high D at least), although the volume is less than it was on the higher notes, but I found myself still having to be careful about falling back into bad habits of pulling the mouthpiece down.

9. PelicansRule

PelicansRule Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2015
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Enthusiasm. You remember enthusiasm, don't you?

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    LostTrumpetPlayer, loudness is less important than projection.