helping students here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChaseFan, Nov 21, 2008.

1. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    We have many high school and college students posting here.

Those of us who are old enough to have voted for Grover Cleveland for President remember what it is like being a student:
    You often don't have the money to buy things you need, like mouthpieces and mutes and sheet music and valve oil.

So the purpose of this thread:

If you are a high school student or a college student and you need something like a mouthpiece or a mute or whatever,
    just let us know in this thread what you are looking for and maybe one of us older posters here will have what you need.
    We can then send the needed item(s) to you free of charge.

It isn't charity.
    It is a way for us older posters to clear our cluttered drawers of all those no-longer-used mouthpieces and mutes and other stuff
    in such a way that will also benefit those students who need such items.
    It will be a win-win situation for everybody, both senders and receivers.

If any student needs something but doesn't want to publicly post the need here,
    just send me a personal message here at Trumpet Master and I will then post that need in this thread without mentioning your name.

Dean

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
    BrassOnLine likes this.
  2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    I think it is a very good idea, but maybe should be taken in count by moderators to avoid any troubble.
    If this is serious, I would do the same in Europe.
    Best wishes !!!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The moderator is moderate. As long as it does not get out of hand, no problem. Keep in mind that giving and receiving are not one way streets. Careful consideration before offering and accepting go a long way in keeping this in the spirit intended.

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Great idea!!

Actually, I need a Schilke P5-4. Anyone have a spare one?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

5. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    [Update: items are being shipped]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
    BrassOnLine likes this.
  6. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    GREAT, MORRIS !!!
    That's the spirit of this thread.
    I will check my closet and will list all mouthpieces I won't play anymore to offer for free to those students interested.
    THANKS !!!

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I don't know if at age 72 I qualify as a student,( I do take private lessons with our local symphony principal trumpet ), but, I do have use for a Bach 7E cornet mouthpiece or equivilant. I know, this is not a 'traditional sounding' mouthpiece for a cornet, but, I do have a valid use for it. Anybody have such a thing that is cluttering up their mouthpiece drawer/box/bin?

OLDLOU>>

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think it's a nice idea. I'd suggest the student also pay-it-forward by playing for free somewhere, teaching another student a lesson, present a workshop, help your band director recruit, etc.

On TH they had a "swap and trade" forum. I think we should do the same thing. Thanks,T

9. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain

Could be very complicated to loan a trumpet from/to someone you don't meet in person.
    It is much prefferable to make a gift, as most times I assume that the trumpet would not be back. I hope/wish to be wrong, but there are so many predators over there.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
  10. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I have been wanting to try a Bach 3C...:-):D