helping students here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChaseFan, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dimes, or any coin, may slow your valve action as they block the vent in your lower valve cap. From time to time, I'll insert stainless steel washers thus the vent is not clogged. Too, WARNING: They mess up bottom springs.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ted, age and health have now taken their toll on my cursive handwriting, but here in the U.S. in my memory of my public school life, I received 3 awards for penmanship, along with the grades for such (such grading as seems to now have vanished from elementary schools along with the teaching of penmanship). Still, my cursive handwriting was never as good as my Mother's (she taught such in elementary school) and she too did exceptional calligraphy. I'll assume by "block" printing you pretty much mean sans serif typefaces much like I'm now reading and I too spent a lot of time with such and still make my hand quick notes with it. However, in print my greatest accomplishment was with gouges in wood to chase the wording on my home church's communion table frontispiece in a Chancery typeface. That was accomplished when I was just 17 years old. The wood, I was told was Appalachian Oak but subsquently I've not found such a genus.

Anyway, here about student public school band members mostly are children of parents below the poverty threshhold, an example being in a neighboring NC county the high school field band is comprised of only 1 trumpet, 1 trombone, 1 Sousaphone, 1 clarinet, 1 alto sax, and 4 tenor saxes and directed by a Teachers for America program graduate who minored in concert piano performance.

It's been a few years since I mentored Teddy (coincidence of name) who first appeared with a badly dented Band Now trumpet held by a belt to the bell crook and hung over his shoulder. I did what I could to improve it workability as wasn't great. Still, I was quick to note that he could sight read music from children's church choir. Then, I didn't have spare trumpets and one like some of YOU sent a Getzen Capri with a 1st valve slide trigger. Well, Teddy's life changed with significant improvement with a move to Georgia, and as of last year he's now playing his own brand new Bach in the high school band there. The Getzen was returned and has since floated out to be played by 4 other students while their instruments are in the shop. At times, I play it myself. I now get a Christmas card from him and another from his new "parents".

3. seetherhell

seetherhell New Friend

Nov 13, 2011
    If anyone has any trumpet sheet music lying around they don't want just message me, I'm a high school student looking for some good music and some sight reading fun!

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It generally should, as likewise a 5C which I would recommend in lieu thereof. Even the inexpensive Lexan Kelly brand mouthpieces.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    IMO heavy mpc caps do not always work to darken tone, at least as much as player technique viz "play softer".

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dimes may block the bottom cap vent ports producing a vacuum false bottom, too any such insert may alter the compression of bottom springs if present.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    PM me! I have authentic supply. They also come in black color (such booze more expensive). Presently (10/31/12) your choice of color.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Very few mouthpieces are totally ruined by a casual drop ... as to say they can't be near totally restored. An out of round shank is the easiest to fix IMO ... and I'm not a tech but have the right tool to do the job and know how to use it. Well, if dropped from a very tall building, or thrown with force to concrete would be a different story.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And they my "change" the sound... by about 30 cents worth... Get it.... dimes... chage the sound...:lol: I know... it's a gift.

10. Eswany33

Eswany33 New Friend

Aug 22, 2012
    North Carolina, USA
    Does anyone have a spare Harmon Mute laying around? I'm been looking to use one, but I'm not sure if I'm going to like it. This is why I haven't bought one, another reason is that I heard that a beat up Harmon sounds better than a brand new one.