helping students here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChaseFan, Nov 21, 2008.

1. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    Snorglorf, you haven't been answering your private messages.
    A Harmon mute is ready to be shipped but we need your name and mailing address.

Send that info to me at [email protected] and the Harmon mute will be shipped right away.

As far as I know, most Mom's appreciate it when their children get mutes to quiet the noise no matter what the source of the mutes is :-)

- Morris

2. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    [update: item is being sent]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  3. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    Students are famous for finding low-cost alternatives for expensive items.
    For example, many students have made book cases from boards and concrete blocks.

Dallas Music gives instructions on how to make a very quiet practice mute from a Renuzit Air Freshener, an idea that apparently originated from the famous Flip Oakes
    Renuzit Mute

On the same subject, here is is Dallas Music's survey of very quiet practice mutes that gives the Denis Wick practice mute the highest rating
    Practice Mute Survey

And here is Dallas Music's review of the Yamaha Silent Brass Mute System that people have expressed an interest in
    Silent Brass FAQ

Dean

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land

Hey Dean. I'm a 57 yo Trumpet Student, is it possible to bundle up even just a small box of talent and send it on ??????

5. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    I'd send you *all* of my talent,
    but the Post Office says that they don't deliver boxes the size of a wasp's butt.

- Morris

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I love colloquialisms Morris, an Aussie might have said "A Gnat's Nut" in place of your equally descriptive "Wasp's Butt". Thanks for the giggle. it's Friday here so that just adds to the general joy. ROFL

BTW, does this mean no talent is heading my way? Bummer. :shhh:

7. jazztrpt006

jazztrpt006 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    Wpg, Mb
    I just wanted to thank everyone who helped with getting me this product. I just tried it and it's going to make a HUGE difference in my limitations. I can't wait to get playing. You guys are amazing.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! =) =)

8. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    Many of us were cash-poor students in the past.

Then as we got older, reaching middle age and beyond, our financial situations greatly improved.
    Then many of us started "collecting" numerous instruments and related paraphenalia.

It is then that we older players must remember those who are now going through that cash-poor student phase that we once went through ourselves.
    If we have dozens of instruments and related paraphenalia now, we should remember those who have little or none.

The Good Book says:

If you have 2 of something and somebody else doesn't have one at all, give that person one of yours
    - Luke 3:11

It is more blessed to give than to receive
    - Acts 20:35

When we do what is commanded in the Good Book, we don't deserve praise, because we are merely doing what was our duty to do
    - Luke 17:10

And the degree of help that is extended by an individual might not be readily apparent.
    Someone here at Trumpet Herald might provide a student a used Bach 3C mouthpiece that doesn't cost very much.
    But if that Trumpet Master member is flat broke, has no musical collection beyond one instrument and 2 mouthpieces, then his giving up that one mouthpiece might represent his giving up much of what he has because he knows that someone else needs it even more.
    - Mark 12:41-44, the poverty-stricken widow giving 2 pennies

So no need for any of you students to thank anyone who contributed needed items here.
    We merely did what was our duty to do.

But 10 years from now,
    when you have left your student years behind,
    when you are well-off with a nice job and money in the bank,
    look around for cash-poor students and give them a helping hand,
    just as someone once gave you a helping hand
    when you were a cash-poor student.

P.S.
    If any students here need anything else, please continue to post your needs in this thread.
    It is the honor system.
    If you can easily afford to buy something yourself, then do so.
    But if you need something that you cannot easily afford, then don't be shy, please let your needs be known.

P.P.S.
    As of Monday, all items will have either been already received by the students or will at least be in route with the shipping company and should be received by the student by the end of the week.

Dean

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  9. jazztrpt006

jazztrpt006 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    Wpg, Mb
    I don't feel right asking other people for favors like these but the only other thing I am needing now is this certain monette mpc. (a potential univ. prof told me to get before I go there next year....and I'm stuck.)

I doubt you guys would be willing to help me out on this last request as I know how expensive they can get, hence why it's so unrealistic for me to get one.

I thought I'd just mention it, sorry.

10. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    hi,
    I don't really need any trumpet hardware, but I'd really like some nice trumpet sheet music to play (for B flat trumpet). I've been searching the web for a few songs:
    - virgen de la macarena
    - canon in D (pachelbel)
    - several songs played by the 'canadian brass' quintet.

I would really appreciate it if someone could send me some trumpet parts (or the parts for multiple instruments).

A very poor Dutch student