helping students here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChaseFan, Nov 21, 2008.

1. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    Great idea, Dean. :thumbsup:

However, I think it should be strictly limited to those who are otherwise financially-strapped to purchase the items themselves and who will be truly appreciative of the gesture.

I'd feel kinda ridiculous giving into someone who says, "Can somebody give me a $185 Bob Reeves mouthpiece for one of my Monettes that got stolen out of my BMW??" :huh:

Obviously, the "honor system" would have to come into play on this. But, being the optimistic trusting old guy that I am, count me in on helping out. :-)

2. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I totally agree. I see people posting here that seem to be just going "hey, free stuff!" If I had the cash to pay for everything I ask for and think I require to reach the level I should be at with my playing, I would have bought it already. There's only so much my school can provide for me.

I haven't asked for anything big, and I haven't expected anyone to give me anything that a veteran player wouldn't have laying around way beyond its point of use for them. I will be writing hand-written thank you letters for everything I receive, and in this day and age I suppose snail mail is not something that occurs often. It'll be fun for me too! :thumbsup:

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Well done Snorglorf - hand written stuff is nearly a thing of the past - I'm correct in assuming that you actually mean to put pen to paper and use proper joined-up writing to communicate in print? I'm not trying to be sarcastic although I suspect it may come across that way - I'm just astounded that for the second time in two days I am looking at the possibility of an almost outmoded form of communication being used.

I think that that is a special form of thank you and I would be thrilled to receive any hand written note - I just opened a hand-made, hand written Christmas card from one of my charges in the local band and I'm still pretty chuffed.

My wife is a caligrapher and we value well constructed easy to read hand writing. In my industry regulations require me to write in BLOCK LETTERS and it seems that the beauty of the hand written word has been almost lost to the younger generation. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Hi guys, thanks a lot for this great act of kindness. I know it's probably a longshot, but does anyone have a legal copy of "The White Sun Lady?" I plan on competing in the ITG Solo Competition this year, and that is a required piece. I'm a little strapped for money right now, but I'll purchase it if necessary. Thank you very much.

- mchs3d

5. Snorglorf

Nov 13, 2008
    I feel like I'm getting a bit greedy here, but it's at your discretion whether or not somebody feels like sending me any tattered old unused copies of Clarkes or Don Johnson's books.

and Ted: Joined up writing!?! I don't know if I can do that! I suppose I'll try. Everyone who sends me stuff should tell me when their birthday is, so I can send them birthday cards too! I'll send you free copies of my albums in ten years too, but I don't know if that would be more of a curse than a blessing. :p

6. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
    Hi, I'm in need of a 7C mouthpiece to replace my old mouthpiece. I have a Getzen model trumpet. Would any type of 7C mouthpiece do?

7. Snorglorf

Nov 13, 2008
    Thanks guys, got two mouthpieces and an Arbans book in the mail yesterday. Everyone contributing is fantastic. :)

8. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Hey guys, I ordered the White Sun Lady. I figured that wouldn't be a common piece anyway. I was wondering if anyone might have an extra Bach flugel mouthpiece, preferably like a 3C. I play in my college's top jazz band, and we do a lot of flugelhorn stuff. My mouthpiece is really gigantic, and I crack like half the notes because it simply does not fit my embouchure. I just hate it, but I really can't afford a new one. If anyone can help, I'd so appreciate it. Thanks!

- Austin

9. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Does anyone happen to have a good music stand just lying around? I really would like one, I have a cheap wire piece of **** and my Arban book which I inherited from my teacher keeps falling down, and it's already not in good condition, the cover is falling off, pages ripping, etc. I am looking for a stand but the best ones that would actually hold my book are like 130$. Also, I don't want anyone on this site to think that I am just out for free stuff... Some people might say, "Well you play a Marcinkiewicz," but I have recounted the story of how I got it so many times: someone offered it to me for 600$ and I am still paying my grandparents back for the money that they lent me!!!

10. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    Does anyone happen to have a good music stand just lying around? I really would like one, I have a cheap wire piece of **** and my Arban book which I inherited from my teacher keeps falling down, and it's already not in good condition, the cover is falling off, pages ripping, etc. I am looking for a stand but the best ones that would actually hold my book are like 130$. Also, I don't want anyone on this site to think that I am just out for free stuff... Some people might say, "Well you play a Marcinkiewicz," but I have recounted the story of how I got it so many times: someone offered it to me for 600$ and I am still paying my grandparents back for the money that they lent me!!!