helping students here

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChaseFan, Nov 21, 2008.

1. trumpetmasterdotcom

trumpetmasterdotcom New Friend

Mar 2, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Does anyone have a spare solotone mute? I'm playing Basie's "Duet" with my school's jazz band, but we do not have any solotones (instead we're using harmons with the stem in - a rare sight indeed). if so it would be much appreciated.

2. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Wow! This is a wonderful thread and a great idea. Thanks to all who have hoped onto this thread!

Um, I'm not sure if people have these lying around or if someone wants to go out and purchase one (it would make for a great night), but I'm looking for a Crown Royal bag. Yes, one of the purple bags that Crown Royal comes in. Being 359 days away from being 21, I can't really go out and purchase one, unless I drove to Canada or Mexico. For all of you that are wondering out loud "Why does he need a Crown Royal Bag?", these bags work as a great mute idea for a couple of trumpet pieces. I have seen it used on the Arutiunian and possibly applied to other type pieces calling for a specific mute or sound.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmmm - maybe a darker sound travels further at night? Just kidding.

This IS an interesting question, consider that both whales and elephants use lower frequencies to communicate over long distance. I would expect short frequencies to carry well over shorter distances - whether this would manifest itself as an advantage, or otherwise, in a performance space due to the relatively short distances I don't really know. Hopefully there are greater minds out there with a valid answer.

Introducing the concept of louder vs softer rather than darker vs brighter is cause for some confusion.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  4. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

Just trying to clarify this whole darker vs. brighter, in my AP Physics class we just started on sound waves and acoustics, and one of the first things we learned was that low frequencies travel further because they require less energy to keep moving (in super simple terms, anyway). So darker would travel further... but as a marching trumpet player, is more volume really everything? Anyway, continue on with thread's purpose. :-)

5. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    hey does anyone out there have an arbans book that they might be done with or just don't use anymore? I play in school but I don't know what to play to get better. I mean I know scales and all but my teacher told me I should get an Arban's. So if anyone would be willing to give me one let me know I'd greatly appreciate it.

6. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    I have a near NEW Bach 7C for anyone needing one. I am also looking for a Curry 7TF. Can anyone help?

7. stvtrn

stvtrn New Friend

Mar 16, 2009
    Hi, does anyone have just an old trumpet or like a lower end trumpet that you just don't use anymore? I'm a freshman in high school and I really want to become good enough for the coming marching season. If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it so much. My dad's the only one working right now and I don't really want to give him more stress.

But yeah, again, if anyone can help me out it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

8. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    anyone out there have spare trumpet or trombone cup mutes? I'm playing in my high school's is musical this year and it calls for some cup mutes in both the trumpet and trombone parts. My trombone friend and I both do not have cup mutes and are on low budgets and it'd be nice to if someone could donate a spare mute that they are not using right now.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    P M Me your address and exactly what you need, I'll get 'em in the mail tomorrow. :-)

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    P M me your address, & do you need a case and mouthpiece?