Herald trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by musicalmason, Feb 18, 2004.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I see that a lot of popular and high quality manufactures make herald trumpets, I was thinking if these companies make these horns they must be good, and fairly good sellers. I was just wondering how herald trumpets play in comparison to a regular horn, and if they have any real use or are they just pretty much just for show. thanks.

2. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    I saw a Herald Trumpeter play at a Horse show...

3. B. Scriver

B. Scriver New Friend

Jan 29, 2004
  4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    so the main use is at horse tracks?

5. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Military bandsmen also play Heralds . . . SOMETIMES!

As Army bandsmen, my fellow trumpeters and I absolutely hated to play 'em. Here's why:

1. All that extra weight waaaaay out front of you makes holding the horn up properly a real challenge. The weight of the horn trying to tip forward can really tire your chops fast! Then . . .

2. Add the weight (for ceremonies) of a very heavy banner loaded with thick gold thread embroidery, and the chops could be hamburger in a few minutes. Tnen . . .

3. Try to march with those @@#@#%$% things, complete with heavy banners blowing in the wind as you stepped in holes, during a "Pass and Review" ceremony for a battalion . . . and you'd never want to pick up a Herald Trumpet again!

Frankly, before I even got to my unit the band had been excused from having to march with our herald trumpets. No one had the chops to do it . . . and you risked a great chance of permanent chop injury or busted teeth if you did it.

We only used ours when trying to impress kids during traveling concerts that were mainly recruiting things for the band.

A HIGH POINT . . .

I'll never forget the time we were on tour and at a large high school. The year was 1974 . . . not a high mark year for kids wanting to join the military back in those anti-war times.

Well . . . the entire school filled the gym. The band was smartly dressed in our special dress blue formal uniforms that only Army bandsmen wear. At the sound of the first drum roll the trumpet section marched crisply out in front of the band with our heralds. At my direction we all began a slow, synchronized, clockwise sweep of our heralds until we were holding them in playing position . . . with those @#@$$ heavy banners looking "cool."

We were about half way through our somber "sweep" when I heard the loud CLANG, CLANG, CLANG on the gym floor. The sound echoed off the walls of the gym . . . slowly being overtaken, volume-wise, by the laughter of students. Looking down, ol' Jack's bell was laying on the floor. Man did he look stupid trying to still look serious as we began the "Star Spangled Banner" with that goofy Getzen herald without it's bell attached!!!

Ah . . . memories! We could hardly play, trying to keep from laughing so hard that we would shake while at "Attention!"

Tom

6. bgwbold

bgwbold New Friend

Jan 13, 2004
    People use them in church services too. I am not a big fan of them and gladly offer for other players to take my place so's they can enjoy the wonderful experience.

Mike

7. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Chances are they are not herald trumpets you saw played at the horse show they were coach horns. Check out THE COACH HORN TOOTLER for more details.
    Dottie

8. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    I've used them when performing music from Aida. I always hated to do so. The ones the band owned were not well in tune. I used to feel as though I was lipping every note!

Roy Griffin

9. Dorabil

Dorabil Pianissimo User

Jul 6, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Herold trumpets or coach horns?
    Dottie