Herb Alpert and Lani Hall

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by greenpeppers, May 12, 2008.

1. greenpeppers

greenpeppers New Friend

Mar 31, 2008
    Anyone happen to catch Herb Alpert and Lani Hall on their latest mini tour? I saw him Saturday night at Joe's Pub in NYC for the first time. It was great to finally hear in person the man whose music made me take up trumpet in the first place, especially in such an intimate setting as Joe's Pub. He was very entertaining and engaged the audience after each song, encouraging questions and cracking jokes. It was really interesting to hear some of his transitions, launching into familiar riffs when least expected in the middle of a song. If you get the chance, definitely see him. His wife, Lani has a beautiful voice and the backup band was great too.

2. claymor

claymor New Friend

May 17, 2008
    I love Herb Alpert. I used to play "Taste of Honey" along with the record all the time when I was in high school. My son has been learning to play trumpet, but really hadn't got inspired yet and was finding it hard to make himself practice. One day he heard me listening to a CD of Herb Alpert playing "Zorba the Greek" in my car. He said "What's that?!" Now he's practicing all the time. I'm going to buy him a Silent brass so he can practice and his mom can think.

3. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Green,

Yes, I caught them at REDCAT in Los Angeles just before his 15 million dollar gift to the CalArts School of Music was announced.

Herb is still the king of the one bar phrase, but how many trumpeters are distinctive enough to identify them the moment you hear them? Herb still has it, and so does Lani. It was a fun evening.

Best,
    EC

4. greenpeppers

greenpeppers New Friend

Mar 31, 2008