Herb Alpert - My Funny Valentine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Peter McNeill, Jun 22, 2012.

1. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    This is a beautiful rendition of MY FUNNY VALENTINE! Thanks for posting. It surely is inspiring!

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    This could go round and round - and I'm not going to hijack the thread and let it get out of hand - but IMO those quotes don't have anything to do with anything I've said about him, I don't care if Gabriel himself said them. Just these comments, and then basta!

Miles quote # 1: that means that he's instantly identifiable, something very important. Here's a link to Florence Foster Jenkins. Three notes and you know it's her, too. :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4f77T-LoM
    Davis quote #2. Sure. Simplicity. Again, my quote: "he's a perfect example of knowing how to use what you know." You make my point for me.
    Wynton quote : And? That's just a statement of fact.

Miles and Wynton are just stating the obvious. Look - like I said, Alpert carved out a considerable niche for himself and more power to him and to anyone who enjoys listening to him. I don't begrudge that at all. Hell, I listen to the Shaggs for Pete's sake! Just don't anyone try to convince me that he's got the same artistic depth or the chops of a very long list of trumpet players of many other genres. Like him for what he is.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Funny thread. It is difficult to debate about musical things with someone who refuses to listen,
    Some time ago a discussion (TH or TM) like this was about the trumpetplaying abilities of Miles Davis. Someone with a lot of knowledge "proved" that Miles couldn't play at all.
    Maybe he was right but I could never understand how a mediocre player, as Miles was pictured, was able to fill beautiful solistic records like Miles Ahead, Porgy and Bess, Concerto d'Aranguez, with a steady, relaxed tone, superior intonation (even on a difficult instrument as the Martin flugel), range, speed of execution and complete command of the orchestra and the musical stuff. Seems to me no business for amateurs.

5. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Well I was just sharing "a moment"; and not everyone will like Herb Alpert, that's just life and tastes.

For those that do, then join me for a last "Rise" before I go to bed myself. All can also understand that Kehaulani has his opinion, and that's OK, that's what forums are for, and I do understand his point of view.

Anyway, probably done my "Moment" to death. It brought a smile to my dial on the plane, and I hoped to share it. So enjoy this as a closing moment.... just cool playing.
    HERB ALPERT with JEFF LOBER LIVE AT MONTREU X 1996 "RISE" - YouTube

Cheers

6. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    ps...maybe next time I am in for a long trip and pick a song, I'll try Concierto de Aranjuez..:cool:

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Perhaps this is one time many of us will have to agree to disagree. As judged by history, both are very successful muscians. Alpert probably is known by more folks but in the jazz arena Miles is definately considered one of the top players.

Both guys are at the top in the styles they play. What I think part of the debate is about is are there others who might outplay them in other venues? Probably, just as they would outplay those guys in their sytles. Neither Miles or Alpert have a world recognized recording of the Carnival of Venice with high technical playing. That doesn't necessarily mean they are mediocre -except in that style. Neither were lead players for Maynard -not in their performance skills. But, in their own styles, they were the tops. Sort of like saying, which is better, apples or oranges. Depends on what you are wanting to cook.

This reminds me of movie critics and history. Rarely, a movie gets really poor reviews by the critics, but goes on over history to go down as an outstanding movie. Sort of what is happening here.

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    You can lead a man to water, but you can't make him think.

If two of the greats, Miles And Wynton, have enough class and professionalism to say something positive about Herb Alpert, instead of saying a negative then they are expressing what music is all about.

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Beavis: Boiiinnnnngggg

10. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Me too.

It depends on one's standards for playing. I doubt that Herb would do a clean job of either.

I really liked Funny Valentine. Peter , thanks for posting , I would have never looked for it. Smooth jazz usually makes me queezy if I listen too long but that was nice..